Is it worth it to turn an old Laptop into a hackintosh to get Logic?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by xXDayDreamerXx, Jul 9, 2016.

1. xXDayDreamerXx

xXDayDreamerXx Ultrasonic

Sure! I can't find the full name of it, but I found a link to one that I'm pretty sure is it-or at least very similar if it's not.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Pavilion-dv4-Series.12653.0.html

2. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Dual core is just not enough for todays production any more.Put a satin on a mixbus and some other more hungry plugins and you are dead in the water.
    I mean you can produce on it,but you will be severely limited.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Just run OSX/Logic under a VM to try it. You might hate it and unless you're fairly skilled at using Bash/Terminal (sideloading kexts, etc.) and know enough about computers to understand what GUID/GPT/UEFI are then you might be better off steering clear of OSX86 type stuff.

4. xXDayDreamerXx

I'm probably not going to be doing anything too extreme since I am a beginner, so I'm not too worried. If I'm really loving Logic and this hackintosh isn't running it well then I probably will just get an actual mac at some point.
    That's pretty much the plan-gotta make sure this laptop can still at least run OS X through a VM I guess. and I think I have a basic idea of what those are...

5. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Really? There's literally nothing you've ever used or heard of that's worse than a very capable, affordable, and customizable DAW like Reaper?

Garageband, eJay, or Magix Music Maker must have improved by orders of magnitude in their most recent revisions.

6. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Not to totally dissuade you, as I have multiple hackintosh setups that are rock-solid, but it's very dependent upon what particular hardware and exactly how you have it set up.

I just wouldn't get my mind set on having Logic at all costs. There are plenty of capable DAWs and the overwhelming majority of them (and other audio softs) are available for PC natively. Take at least a week to install/try as many as you can and see if any gel before committing, BUT once you do commit then don't backtrack. Just stick with one DAW and don't spread yourself thin. The grass usually isn't that much greener and you'll fritter away your time (re)learning software when you should be learning music/production in a more generic sense.

7. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

Logic is an excellent choice, especially if you are going to work with musicians/studios. Every good studio/music has a logic installed and ready (along to their pro tools).
    If you want to be a full bedroom producer with only EDM instruments, don't bother.
    But if at some time you plan to work with session musicians/studio, Logic would be an excellent investment (just like Pro Tools would still be).

And it is not cheap because Logic is attached to the itunes account who bought it (not the hardware). So assuming you don't give away your itunes credentials, you cannot resell Logic.

8. xXDayDreamerXx

thanks for the food for thought! It's jut a tad cheaper than Cubase (which is $330 with an EDU discount- Ouch.) but I get your point about the resale thing..

9. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

It might be "worth it" for the sense of geeked-out accomplishment of having created a Frankentosh, but it would be a lot easier to cruise Craigslist for an used Macbook Pro. I got quite lucky to find a late-2011 i7 15" MBP for $220 (due to a defective keyboard; I use an external one anyway), but Core2Duo from 2009 (or better, an i5 from 2010) onward, would be a lot likelier find. You'd want to max-out the RAM (look on everymac.com to see whether a model's unofficially-supported max. RAM is higher), and run the OS on an SSD, optimally.

Are you looking to run Logic 9, or LPX? It's a lot simpler to ask, "Which software version, on which OS version, on which hardware version?" than to "go configure" a PC, especially if it's a laptop. Apple also deprecates older OS versions on newer hardware: the aforementioned late-2011 MBP won't run Snow Leopard, for example, though C2D Macbooks will run El Capitan. For LPX, I'd recommend running it on Yosemite or El Capitan rather than on Mountain Lion (10.8).

The real-world minimum specs for LPX are OS 10.8 on a C2D, though an i5 is preferable. The i7 processor (quad-core) permits multithreading, which is really handy, if not kinda necessary. Since I went from i5 with 8GB of RAM to i7 with 16GB of RAM, "system overload" messages hardly occur anymore, whereas formerly they had practically prevented me from getting anything done in LPX.

10. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Reaper is a scourge package. And when you starting a project in it you are instantly feeling like you are using 50$ piece of crap software.
    After protools, cubase and S1 (nah even logic), reaper looks and feels like a terrible nightmare.
    Proposing reaper to someone who just start producing is a mortal sin. Same as hackintosh + logic.

Topic starter should rename subject to "I'm not sure, but could you please write something about How awesome is logic, because anyway i will ignore any other opinions."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. xXDayDreamerXx

I never said I was ignoring any opinions, what the hell? and I have to agree about proposing reaper to a beginner like myself My first initial question was answered anyways..

12. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

@xXDayDreamerXx day when you realise that you make music with no your eyes but with some tools you will feel that god bless you.

@DanielFaraday I tried almost all DAWs on market. And choose REAPER because it gives me best workflow. But yes, it not for beginner.
    and check this

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. xXDayDreamerXx

I'm aware of this, but I gotta choose the right tools still, right? :) As for the video...HAAA! xD Luckily I wouldn't consider Pro Tools until I was in college and absolutely could not use any other DAW.. (I'm in highschool) Cubase takes a while to open too, sadly. I was shocked at how fast reaper loaded for me too when I tried it. I wasn't a fan of the interface and it didn't seem to offer any factory instruments and sounds and such? D: Not what I need in a DAW currently, since I only have around $300 to drop.. I'm a pretty big fan of cubase, but I figured if I could save $100 by getting Logic instead that'd be good. I figured that if I could run OS X on my old computer and found that I liked logic, I'd save up for a mac.. I figured it could also have a bunch of other uses for me too and give me a little bit more option and variety for computer programs in general :)

14. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

if you don't have much money, why don't you buy an old mac and get logic for free?

macbooks are going to be upgraded very soon (end of year) so the current line of products will be deprecated and get a nice discount

Cubase, well, if you're into soundtracks, why not... But hiring a lot of session musicians myself, I can tell you it's certainly not the most common DAW with musicians/pro studios maybe because a lot of them still use OSX as operating system.
    And also you'll have to use the dongle and all that shit, forget about new versions, that's why Cubase is a no-go for me (and most people find it really hard to master anyway, but you're already mastering it so...)

15. Ankit

Ankit Guest

I dont know what you feel about Reaper's appearance, but it is definitely not good for technically challenged people. Hard to learn, once you learn it, you'll never look back.

And I will not recommend Reaper to newbies. But keep it with your other DAW and start messing with it, you'll find that there are endless possibilities. Reaper follows your workflow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2016
  16. xXDayDreamerXx

This was one of my initial ideas actually! I've been looking into getting a 2007 mac, they're only $150 on ebay and can run the latest OS X. It isn't free though- you still have to pay $200. I guess I'd just have fun with garageband until I could buy it :) I was just wondering to myself, "I wonder if I could run OS X on my old laptop through a VM or something first before investing in a mac"... And I figured I'd ask here. And I haven't tossed Reaper aside, it's still installed and I just don't touch it because I have no reason to lol

17. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

2007 mac + latest osx ? :rofl:who is telling ?

apple likes to force people into buying new hardware, with new updates of their software. first they release an update for logic that wont run on your installed os anymore, then you update your os and notice how shitty it is and most of the time the new os is more demanding than the previous. this again moves you to get new apple hardware, if youre out of luck you loose compatibility with your existing hardware ... etc etc... have to replace your audio interfaces with more recent versions :bleh:

if you want go for apple get yourself a mid2012 macbook pro (non retina) or mac mini, quad core i7. it is the last series where you can expand storage and ram manually. and should provide enough processing power for the task.

if you want to test osx, vm is a bad choice as it lacks performance. Hackintosh is the only meanigful way to test it. setup my first troublesome hack in 2007 on amd, later that year went intel and it was rock solid. Rellay liked the os and bought a macbook pro in 2008 as i needed a laptop anyway.

On a twin core I'd suggest an os 10.6-10.9 with logicPro9
    On a quad core I'd suggest an os 10.9-10.X with logicProX

18. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

What kind of music are you looking to make? i.e Live instruments recorded through an interface? Electronic? Somewhere in between?

Logic is a workhorse if you're on OSX. Your specs will suffice but don't take that as a clear indication of what Logic on an actual Mac is like.
    If you're just looking to learn the DAW itself you should be fine but if you want to actually produce, no-holds barred, I agree with what Von-Steyr said above. Granted, awesome records have been made with far less resources but that's got nothing to do with why you asked this question.

I'm somewhat of a polygamist when it comes to my relationship with the DAW. I can tell you one thing for sure.
    Aesthetics aside, REAPER will, for sure, maximize the resources for production on any machine.
    But you want to learn Logic so, again, somewhat besides the point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

If you know how to use plugins,eq,compressor,reverbs then you can work in cool edit pro and get pro results.
    The problem is just when you get good at this,you need to work fast and efficiently,has nothing to do with being better,just more capable,thats why i chose cubendo,because it can take the abuse unlike some daws who start coughing really fast.
    Steinberg needs to start paying me because im starting to sound like a tool here,lol.
    Its like people only do things because they get paid,so wrong.
    [​IMG]

20. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

I'd be surprised to see that machine run logic. I have a 2013 MBP quadcore i7, 8 gigs ram, SSD and all that jazz, and it doesn't run logic very well. Resizing windows is extremely laggy and overall it feels very poorly optimized. Even zooming in and out feels sloppy and unresponsive. Logic 9 runs fine however, but looks a little blurry on my retina display :) Reaper is nice, and runs amazing on Mac OS. If logic doesn't work out, you should totally give it a go.