Is it true that Arturia's V Collection 9 synths sound better because the code was updated?

Discussion in 'Software' started by YhomTorke66, Nov 18, 2022.

1. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

:rofl:

I'll try u-he Repro-1/Repro-5 ASAP! :mates:

At the moment I'm highly focused on... u-he Diva (my future synth - I'll plan to buy it, waiting for money + promo, my rig have only legit OS/softwares/plugins, despite I'm just an hobbyist, not a C.M. professional). Sometimes, I play with demo/trial, such Arturia Prophet-5 V, CS-80 V4, Matrix-12 V2 and Synclavier V. My hobby is mainly sound design, and VCV Rack modules developments. Also one of my favorite "game" is to "repack" (for instruments, I keep VST 2.4 only, and VST3 only for audio effects, always 64-bit).

I don't focus on 100% realistic instruments, the most important is I like it, or I don't like. I like Sines and Miniverse by Cherry Audio. Same for Arturia Prophet-5 V, CS-80 V4, Matrix-12 V2 and Synclavier V, I love these instruments, but not in my budget unfortunately.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. ziked

ziked Producer

Indeed. Like the Model-E and Pro-Five, the first two paid VSTs ever from NAMM 2000. They were sold for $199 each, advertised as emulations of Minimoog and Prophet-5. Their filters and oscillators just don't respond accurately at all. I like the Pro-Five though, it has a sort of digital VA character that reminds me of Nord Lead or Propellerhead Subtractor. Similar story with the original Korg Legacy Collection. Their MS-20 and Polysix plugins are not very accurate, but I just like their sound.

Analog synths are a lot like cars in a way, even if you take two cars that came off the line on the same day, 20 years later all the work the mechanics did and the wear and tear, turn them into two completely differently responding beasts. It's really eye-opening to see comparisons of differently calibrated Prophet-5's or Jupiter-8's, despite playing the same patches, the filters, envelopes, oscillators can all sound slightly different due to calibration or component wear. So it's like people are obsessing over nothing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Not to say that, not all but, many people who speak about accuracy never touched the synths they're speaking about.
    Many of us are inspired by analog gear sounds that we know about from records, but we often forget that these sounds came out not only from the synths, they were also passed through a specific mixing desk , equalized, etc...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  4. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

"Hey Paul, let's use the new Arturia plugins on Let it Be, they'll be fab."

"Don't be silly John, they aren't 100% reproductions of the analogue circuitry, even if we record them at 192 kHz."

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. nenemalo

nenemalo Noisemaker

Not sure this is the right place, but would you please let me know if makes sense install the R2R Arturia V Collection 9.v9.1.0 over the last individual packaging I have already working in my PC:

Arturia Analog Lab V v5.6.0 CE-V.R
    Arturia Keyboards & Piano V-Collection 2022.11 CE
    Arturia Synth V-Collection 2022.11
    Arturia FX Collection 3 v3.1.0-R2R
    Arturia Sound Banks Bundle 2022.11 CE-V.R
    Arturia Augmented Bundle 2022.11 CE-V.R
    Arturia FX Collection 3 v3.1.0-R2R

Any preset/instrument/FX in this V Collection not present in those individual packagings?

6. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

Tbf I like the FX plugins more than the actual instruments w/ Arturia.
    Slowly migrated away since I compared Dive to Arturia Mini

7. BagelShaggerz

BagelShaggerz Platinum Record

Do you typically install over other packages? I've done this before with other bundles and in my own personal experience it's been a clusterfuck. So don't hurry to take my advice as it may be wrong specifically for Arturia bundles.

Personally, (this is strictly only my own opinion) but I would have uninstalled everything except the preset banks and installed the R2R instead of VR. I think that different teams might interfere with the same bundle if you install over it, its happened to me in the past where everything bombed after installing over another teams package. Like VR over R2R or vice versa.

However, maybe you should wait until somebody that has concrete facts on the Arturia package being cross contaminated with another teams package and the results of that. Because I'm not entirely sure and don't want to be the reason you have a clusterfuck and a half occupying your hands.

Same here but the CS-80V is still pretty damn fun to play with.

8. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

Arturia's also has a stand alone synth on top of the VST/VST3/AU/AAX/etc. U-He are 'just plugins' you need to load up a DAW to do anything with. Don't get me wrong I own Repro and love it too but, the entire Arturia collection can be ran on its own and you can have a field day just designing sounds without ever having to see your DAW.

9. dia manu

dia manu Producer

im over with the analog hype, im already into vintage digital
    man those sample cell nubus cards sound like gold in my apple IIfx with rominator

10. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Yep.

It's a busy few weeks with Thanksgiving travel and end of the year blitz work.

I have the demo downloaded, I just have to motivate myself to dig out the Pro5 (R2) from storage and put in on a stand to try remind myself what it sounds like.

The thought of dealing with the tangle of midi and power cables, wall warts, dust and crawling around to plug things in though is too much to bear right now. I'll get around to it eventually, there is only so much gas in the tank though and some things have to simmer on the back burner.

11. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

I really like their Buchla Easel plugin, although I'll admit I haven't been able to do anything remotely musical with it yet.