Is it possible to revert to older computer ID on ilok?

Discussion in 'PC' started by MrLyannMusic, Jan 2, 2024.

1. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Hi,

First of all happy new year to every and each member and their families here, and as everyone knows, with new years comes new problems,

so backing up a bit, i have upgraded my main working computer with 2 8tb, took two 2tb out and replaced them, after rebooting, it seemed that iLok now sees my computer as a new one and the old licences are locked away, i know that i can make the old one as inaccessible and recover my linceses but 'im trying to avoid that...

what i tried is plugging back my old hardrive basically "restoring" it to it's old state, and that's what i'm trying to do with ilok trying to make it use the old "ID"...

the question is, is this possible? any recommendation? i have tried restoring my computer to an early state but apparently i didn't have any restore point so that's not possible...

3. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

There are a few problems with this. If they are just data drives (no OS install or boot), they still have a Volume Serial Number which makes them unique. If you also replaced your OS volume then you have a compound problem: A new Volume Serial Number combined with a new OS install. This will be seen as a new system, certainly, as iLok system ID is based on both hardware and software--change any part which is in the calculation, and the calculation will be different.

If you removed two smaller data drives, and replaced with two larger data drives, but left your OS drive intact and unaltered (three drives in this scenario - 2 data, 1 OS) then it's hard to predict if reverting will remedy that, as the OS drive might now be in an altered state after the upgrade. If you removed both the original OS and data drive (two drives in this scenario - 1 data, 1 OS), and did a fresh install or OS clone then reverting back to the original untouched drives *should* put you to the state prior to the upgrade.

If so, de-activate the iLok licenses on the untouched boot state, replace with upgraded drives, and then re-activate the license on the upgraded computer. If you still have a new system ID after putting the system back to as close as original as possible then you don't have much you can do other than asking for a license reset.

More details might be helpful.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  4. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

The only change is the storage hard drives upgrade, same os drive, same os version, besides reinstalling os no other way?

any idea where does ilok save computer id? i tried re installing ilok manager but no luck it is still using the new id...

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

when I switched from using my laptop back to my 5.1, I did the process the way he mentions at the end of his post and had no problems at all.

I did it all within iLok manager, and I may have also logged in on their website. you should not have to reinstall your OS for this at all.

6. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

does this mean i need a new ssd or what exactly? i'd appreciate an easier explination, thank you!

7. stopped

stopped Platinum Record

they're saying if you still have the old drives in their original state, put them back in and disable the licenses first
    then put the new drives back, and you can just reenable them.

I did a motherboard replacement and ended up with new IDs, and had to contact like 12 manufacturers and go through their individual support processes to get them restored one by one. it sucked but was still easier than swapping the old motherboard back in and disabling the licenses first. there's no way to get the old IDs back, half of ilok's protection is preventing you from messing around with that stuff as it would allow you to have the same licenses installed different places

8. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

that's exactly what i did, didn't help, if there's a way to trigger ilok to recalculate then that might help...

9. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

So you have three drives in your computer: OS, data 1a, and data 2a? And data 1a and data 2a were replaced by an upgrade with data 1b and data 2b? And then the iLok system ID changed (which makes sense) because you changed two out of three drives?

You then reverted back to OS, data 1a, and data2a, but the iLok system ID remains the same new value which iLok reported with the OS, data 2a, and data 2b drive configuration?

Do I have that correct?

If you removed the larger capacity (in use after upgrade) drives, and put in your smaller old drives (in use prior to upgrade) and the drives were connected to the exact same SATA ports that they were prior to their initial replacement then there is (in my estimation) nothing you can do other than getting the licenses reset by request.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  10. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

B
    Basically correct, execpt i have 26 drives (yes limited by alphabet that's why i use two computers) but i did have the old drives connected to their exact previous sata ports...

I bought the 8tb drives to replaces to smaller ones and i'm in the process of doing that now which is gonna make this a little bit more complicated.

Attached Files:

11. stopped

stopped Platinum Record

I'm confused as to how the old drive that used to hold the ilok database would know about new stuff (and thus exhibit the same problem), but the details of exactly how ilok computes stuff are unknown

I am also equally impressed/amazed/aghast at your setup. It almost makes me want to mail you my old NAS

12. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

I think the issue is that there is one disk (the boot disk) which has been in use the entire time, and it's also the same disk which would hold any iLok Manager and registry settings. So once iLok Manager got triggered by a system change, it lost its prior configuration, and very likely can never return to its prior freely licensed state.