Is it possible to MIX high level electronic music without a sub?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by TruBlood, Jun 14, 2017.

1. tooloud

tooloud Guest

If you know your monitors intimately - like you've used them for years and years - it's possible to compensate for any low end inadequacy. I still have my NS-10's from 1980 and although I only use them to test a finished mix, I know I can get my bottom end sitting nicely just on those speakers. However I now prefer my Neumann's with a 10" sub.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. saltwater

saltwater Guest

then there is this other concern about subs.....
    my neighbor once called the police because i played my music too loud, he got arrested....:hillbilly:

well, no, not really :hahaha:
    usually they don't love sub basses like we do :speaker:, and hell, nothing can stop that bass really.

if i was in the situation that allows me using a sub all the time,i would give it a shot for sure.

3. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

[​IMG]

4. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Can't stop the bass.
    Bass is everywhere....

5. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

First things in every track:
    hipass+lowpasss
    Just because the energy must be used in things that you really want.
    My new subs will arrive soon, Im praying for the money god.

6. Herr Tony

Herr Tony Producer

For your music you will benefit using a subwoofer, but mix with the monitors first then when everything sounds good you start making low bass decisions activating the subwoofer, as others were saying you need a proper room. A large room (more than 9 meters) is good, not to have your subwoofer overpowering it. Or a proper treatment in a small room. Cause you need those big waves of sub bass absorbed to prevent adding up (or substracting) and make you cutting (adding) the bass rendering a thinner*muddier) final mix. Think about how a 50 hz freq needs about 6 meters long to complete one cycle. A hint about learning to mix sub frequencies is to feel them rather to listen to them. Feel where it resonates in your body. It can take a little time to get used to it but a shortcut is to know the key of your track so you can safely bet on what frequencies to eq from the 3 octaves from 20hz to 160 hz. It can be fun.
    Regards
    T.K.

7. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

[/QUOTE]

Hi-NRG Disco Drag Queen King Harris Glenn Milstead. Love him! I prefer "Native Love" (we went wild on the dancefloor when it started)
    He died 1988, at 42, from being fat. Really, 170 kg (or 375 pounds), enlarged heart, asystolia, dead. The day before the shooting as Al Bundy's Uncle Otto would have begun. Found an interview just weeks before his death.

Sorry for offtopic, but had to honor this diva!

8. outofnames

outofnames Newbie

if you have the experience, you can go with an analyzer and a decent pair of headphone for sub