Is it possible to connect any chord to other chords without considering any rule in all keys?

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, May 26, 2018.

?

Possible?

1. Yes?

34 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. No?

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. foster911

foster911 Guest

I could go more complicated than that but just wanted to show how you can uses all 12 notes in the simplest way by just 8 chords selected to sound smooth and logical to ear.

2. Lazybones

Lazybones Member

Yeah. ;)
    As you say, even just knowing the names you know theory. I mean, there's 'I'm just plopping my hands down on this here keyboard for the first time in my life and I can make actual music from hunting and pecking', to, 'I have been playing a long time and I've picked up enough theory in those years that it comes out whether I consciously apply it or not.' lol

I confess I didn't read the whole thread. I guess I just wanted to blab on about something and I happen to find this here. :winker:

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  3. foster911

foster911 Guest

I never use other people's approach and I don't think you can find that succession somewhere. If you do, it would be totally accidental.
    The funny thing is that after this number of pages, you still don't know what the point of this thread is. This thread is for connecting different chords not making a melody.
    I know theory but never trust it unless I reach it by myself. On the other hand, theory has never worked for me (I've not used it).

4. BibouLeNoob

BibouLeNoob Kapellmeister

Foster is a "shapeshifter" troll. He's inconsistent, and thus, he's a bit of everything you described, plus a lot of other room-temperature-IQ behaviors. One year ago he trolled with "musictheory 101" like posts, ranting about how everyone should learn theory before anything else and the next thing you know, he doesn't want to hear about theory anymore (when someone whith actual knowledge actually brings something to the table like @MMJ2017). It's a bit like Trump, without the power and without the money.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  5. foster911

foster911 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2018
  6. BibouLeNoob

BibouLeNoob Kapellmeister

Yeah authentic cadences and dominant 7 chords in a row are pretty thin on the ground... :like:
    Can't believe this guy is for real. :no:

7. foster911

foster911 Guest

Please stop. Off-topic. Keep your ideas for other threads.:wink:

8. foster911

foster911 Guest

I don't remember I've told somewhere that these connections can be stronger or weaker. The title is "not any rule" by someone who picks the chords.

9. Lazybones

Lazybones Member

That's good enough for me. :mates: I'll go back to my tv show. ;)

I dunno. I didn't read this entire thread. What I said was just a natural tangential point in the conversation.
    Sasaaaaay... you trolling me now? :unsure: lol

10. foster911

foster911 Guest

@BibouLeNoob I know you're a great music maker or player. But they don't necessarily expose that you know everything, so please instead of making fun of me, show that you're not at the end of your tether and have something to talk.

11. foster911

foster911 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2018
  12. If you wish to be unique it is important to create some sort of system yourself or to become the devotee of someone like Kraig Grady and glean what you can until you grok and a light goes on over your head. And stop asking people questions that only you have the answers to. It is a terrible waste of your time and that which could be more productively spent working on your art.

13. foster911

foster911 Guest

I am not wasting my time. I make lots of things and learn from them and also share for other people to have conversations around them to raise the levels. Knowing basic or advanced theory has not saved anyone but talking about the practicality for everyone to test is more useful.:bow::mates:

14. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

the synthesis of a lazy, dull anti-intellectualist at his worst, but also an extremely arrogant clueless troll
    a true "flat-earther", who just happened to choose a music forum..

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. farao

farao Rock Star

Wait for it... wait for it... yup, there it is... The daily Foster-question with the no-theory-is-allowed-spin answered by the man himself.

:scrapbox::crazy::scrapbox::crazy::scrapbox::crazy::scrapbox::crazy:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. foster911

foster911 Guest

Sorry bro for my previous comment. I was sleepy and it was rude to talk like that. Please forgive me.:bow:

17. foster911

foster911 Guest

Be positive! Suppose this question is for re-studying harmony books to answer how you can manipulate every progression to work. You can look at this thread from that angle.:yes:

18. sir jack spratsky

sir jack spratsky Producer

no such time sig as 12/7 friend.....top number is how many units per bar, bottom number is what type of unit.....there is no rhythmic nomenclature for 7....... you can have 7 as top number but not bottom.....

19. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

@foster911

When you speak or write you use rules. You use words (it's not you who invented them), you build sentences combining the words according the rules. When you want to tell something about theory you choose word "theory" (nor "table" nor "tenderness"). If you want to tell about different theories you choose a form "theories". Etc., etc.
    You cannot avoid these rules. And when you speak you don't think about rules, you don't realize that you use them. But you use them anyway.
    Is it a prison?
    Yes. And no because possibilities are almost endless. Every poet knows it.
    In music they (may be) aren't endless. But they are very, very rich.
    Think about music theory as if it is a foreign language. Learn the vocabulary (notes, chords), grammar (rules to combine them) and THEN learn to speak in "misic language" FLUENTLY.
    Simply as that.

20. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

When you start to "speak" fluently you will be able to "say" all that you want to "say".

My English is very bad (basic, primitive). I have to think, choose and compose the words consciously to express any simple thougt. But in my native language I am way more skillfull.
    Yes, sometimes I have nothing to say. But rules of language are useless in this situation. They work when I do have something to say. And they work very well ))

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List