Is it possible to connect any chord to other chords without considering any rule in all keys?

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, May 26, 2018.

?

Possible?

1. Yes?

34 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. No?

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. foster911

foster911 Guest

Yes or no?

What about the consequences?

Thank you!:bow:

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. farao

farao Rock Star

Well, of course you can connect any chord to any other chord. But why would you want to? The consequences of not knowing about rules and conventions might lead to lots of complications, time consuming trial and error, and unwanted results.

For instance, due to inherit overtones, and conventions in the west, certain chords tend to fit more natural after each other and seems more logical to the listener. An example is the dominant chord that strongly wants to resolve to the tonic, for example G7 to C in the key of C.

Furthermore, not knowing the resolving tendency for chords to flow in fourths towards the tonic within a key makes it cumbersome to find the right chords to go with what you want to say with your music.

Likewise not knowing that chords travelling in fifths build energy and create tension.

These are just obvious things where you have advantages knowing a little about how chords work. There are tons of other examples where theory about how chords and harmony work will help you getting the results you want. And then there is the whole thing with how chords and their voicings interact with melody and rhythm.

It is up to you if you want to use trial and error when chosing what chords to use and how to use them. But then there is actually little hope that you will find solutions to expand on what you can say with your music.

With knowledge about how chords works, you can see valuable paths between chords instead of thinking that any chord fits after any other. With your way of looking at it, the chord you choose will limit and direct your choices instead of letting your thoughts and feelings decide what you would like to say with your music.
    -

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Producer

Yes you can do what you want, it's an artform remember?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. farao

farao Rock Star

Well, he wanted to know the consequences between following rules how chords work and using trial and error.

6. Magic Mango

Magic Mango Producer

I think the key-word here is connect and farao made the crucial point.

7. inusable

inusable Producer

8. foster911

foster911 Guest

This is baroque period's reasoning.:guru:

9. saltwater

saltwater Guest

10. saltwater

saltwater Guest

personally i rule them out the same way as anything else, if it sounds good (to me), its ok :wink:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. foster911

foster911 Guest

All periods in the western music's history have disregard the previous periods' mindsets or degraded them and have had experimentations with more freedom. Now, the music theory is at the utmost ambiguity and you can justify all of your decisions by using different and incompatible suggestions.:excl:

12. PrettyPurdie

PrettyPurdie Guest

Is it possible to do polyrhythmic 12/7 jazz mixed with 3/4 waltz ?
    Yes
    Is it fun to listen to ?
    Nope
    I like my music as i like my pizza 4/4

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  13. farao

farao Rock Star

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Magic Mango

Magic Mango Producer

I believe it is possible to connect any two chords with some extra work, Luis Armstrong style or like putting it in the right perspective.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Producer

May I ask why you are asking this question, @foster911?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. foster911

foster911 Guest

Because almost all theories are based on this connection. If you can release yourself from this prison, you can do whatever you want.:thumbsup:

17. Magic Mango

Magic Mango Producer

Plz Foster, don't be such a fop. What's next, you'll teach us how to use pitch-bend?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. One never ever needs to consider their artistic choices in regard to chord changes...or is it the other way around? I don't remember, what do you think? And can you please give me an example? Gotta run now, I am in the middle of writing the best song ever written...or is it the worst, I just can't tell any more.

19. foster911

foster911 Guest

If you talk off-topic, this thread will be closed and this important subject will be indeterminate. Also appreciate your previous comment. I'm thinking like you.:mates:

20. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Producer

And who is in this prison you speak of? Where are you? Are you stuck in prison or are you outside in the fields? @foster911

21. foster911

foster911 Guest

Of course artistry is unrelated to chord changes. I just made this thread to choose the chords freely disregarding the diatonic scale and having more fun.:mates: