Is it, nowadays, worth to invest in your own niche music?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Demloc, Apr 24, 2022.

1. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

And one more thing: at least where I live, cultural industry and gospelization are more and more dictating what people hear and appreciate.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

Oh my! This thing got resurrected like a zombie. It's been two years already.

Just FYI @No Avenger offered himself to master one song for free to see and others really cheap when I posted this, but I don't like people using their hard earned skills without retribution, so I declined it or put it on hold, or maybe I just got an absurd homestudio type of stage fright, can't remember. But it was a nice gesture. Still thinking on it XD

Anyway, thanks for necroposting this up! Gonna add another track to my "private only" tracks soundcloud in celebration for that. Maybe someone here will enjoy it, XD

Cheers!

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Bbeats

Bbeats Newbie

Nowadays people let the algorithm decide for them

4. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

That sound pretty good, emotion is definitely there.
    I don't know anything about orchestral music technically and wouldn't know for what to look for in term of mixing/mastering so to me this sound professional.

Get an IPI / ISWC / ISRC / IPN / ISNI, whatever you need to claim paternity of your creation and be able to get paid.
    Go to a 3D/VG/Movie/Animation school and make friends with students with a project you like and let them use your music for free for their ongoing /final exam project/show with the condition that if the project get exploited commercially you'll renegociate a contract and licence the music so you get a piece of the cake.

I see zero reason why a classical/experimental dance onstage performance project wouldn't use your song and you will surely meet interresting people and get paid. Same goes for Gallery art performance, your local/regional cultural ministery probably have some budget for you, depending on what part of the world you live, you'd be suprised.

I like Ennio Morricone, Joe Hisaishi, Kenji Kawai and Hanz Zimmer but rarely listen to their music outside of the body of work it's part of.
    You should try to meet the next Hideo Kojima.

Sounds nice !
    Good Luck :mates:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Sounds legit!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Additionally to what @OffshoreBanking said, if you don't mind your tracks being 'abused' by a 'slightly' different genre, Hardstylers are using such tracks all the time for intros, outros and breaks and don't make them theirselves. You could goolge Qlimax, Q-dance and such and try to address the DJs.

7. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

If you indeed land your music in a movie/video game/dance/art performance project that is going to be commercially exploited you can get a budget for mastering/publishing purpose on top of your payment/royalties contract so just don't put the cart before the horse. When you do land a score, hire @No Avenger tho ;)

In your style of music, you should really consider the importance of relationships an connexions between all mediums of art and artists.

To put in simply if a friend of a friend is a choreographer, it's going to be pretty easier to land your demo in the right hands and get involved in a project with writting/recording credits and pay than if you were to send your .zip at [email protected]

Again, your music sounds good, you just gotta make a name for yourself and put yourself out there. Christopher Nolan is not going to call you magically so you got to start somewhere, people need affordable composer for their first film/other projects, building authentic friendships is important in this field.

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Right, that email address isn't worth the effort. [​IMG]

9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Hello. My name is Christopher Nolan and I approve this message.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

Hey thanks all for the messages! The funny thing is that that track is the first one I got on that realm, and I composed it cause my hyperacusis only allow me to go to transient heavy sound spaces without feeling discomfort very little times now. So I'm moving from neuros basses, glitchy percusions and squashed dynamics to lush spaces, pure sines and programmed strings/orchesta with plenty of headroom by the pure necesity of finding new perspectives that allow me to keep composing and producing stuff. But also on the bizz side of my life I'm trying to get and opensource AI filmaking school rolling with some partners with the idea of empowering people that want to tell histories and explore narratives on this new media, but lacks the knowloadge to do so, so maybe everything will aligning itself on the long run!

Glad you like the track!

11. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

AI filmaking school? Tell more about that!

12. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

XD Well I work on a company that make treatments for movies, series and commercials, (like manually crafted, high quality pitch decks for film directors and prods that want to do the next TOYOTA ad, the next Netflix hit or whatever, we do some sort of multimedia ghostwritting) with teams of visual researchers, scriptwritters and designers. And I jumped really early on the Diffusion Models stuff and Implemented on the pipeline really good. Like all the visual researchers are now prompters and with the tech getting better by the minute our shit is getting better as well XD. But while commercials world pays the bills it really suck so we are trying to do something more with all the combined knowloadeage we have now, like teaching artist and creative people all around the globe, with different perspectives, how to operate these tools in a cinematic, more narrative way, not just the 15 sec instagram thingys, and see what happens. Cause now you don't need expensive films units or crazy amount of animator hours, or be a nepokid of some Holywood celeb, to get something polished, you just need a phone and access to far less expensive computational power. But again, this thing is starting slowly as we are all learning the stuff as we go and everything changes from week to week. :rofl:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  13. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

Wow, sounds impresive! I am interested in generative art. Would be very interesting to know the tools, on the first hand of people that work on that. So your idea has all the sense to me. The times are crazy on new creative options, and many people is completely lost. It would be (teaching) in person?

14. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

i guess the only choice is not to count that you will make much money on music and do this as a hobby. that will also make you a better musician btw

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Hollywood and the FX industry just shit it's pants this morning

I think we all agree, Hollywood is bloated and dying. Cinema in general is struggling to be innovative.

Seeing AI video tech powering up finally, I'm genuinely excited to see what young creatives do with video AI. And what old artists like me who once wanted to make films, do with it.

Personally the arts (music, art, film) have been pretty boring for the last 15 years, just regurgitating past ideas all the time. I'm tired of the cynical lazy decision makers in those industries.

Maybe video AI will echo the 90's music explosion. Electronic music constantly innovated as new technology was developed and it got into the hands of young creative people who weren't traditional musicians.

This is where innovation grows, excited minds who don't care about money and don't care about rules or limitations.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  16. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

After what happened last time?

Damn right he's ain't gonna call, that shameless brat. I mean we've all had botched enemas, but doing it with raw garlic juice? Six weeks went by and my bedroom still smells like brown kimchi.

17. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

Our Idea is to be online as possible, it makes no sense to do it in any other way nowadays XD

Yep, everybody is freaking out on the AI community, thats a huge leap if the hype is real. It will suffer of their greedy model business cause OpenAI are the "bad guys" and they do some shady stuff like chopping down quality down the road to save computational power. They do that a lot on when ChatGPT refuses to do something or with Dall-E when it spit a shitty image. And then there is this huge censorship about anything you can imagine in their services. You can't do shit. Too constrained. I preffer to use models local, or rent big GPUs and have total control and have no censorship.

But there is a huge leap there, like a two years old child understanding of object permanency (objects shape and looks remain the same if something obscure them). So the OpenSource community is scrathing their heads atm trying to replicate that XD.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

Call me, Idk, crazy or whatever, but I think AI is Hollywood's ticket to what it has always been dreaming : making movies without having to deal with people who want stuff like a salary or stuff.

If I had to guess I'd say the real problem (for Hollywood) is how to prevent people like you or me having the tools accessible. It's a weird situation where the customer can become the competitor overnight, and THAT's what makes them leave brown stains on every piece of fabric that doesn't see the sun.

I remember reading (or watching) something about how the whole "artists protest their work being fed to AI without consent" thing was actually big conglomerates (read : Disney) trying to change copyright laws so that EVERYTHING becomes their IP. They were packaging it as something in support of creators, but in reality it would make Spotify revenues seem like 2015 Bitcoin -as in creators would maybe earn a few molecules that happen to be the same alloy as a 2 cent coin. Meanwhile, if EVERYTHING is copyrighted to Disney or whatever evil pyramid scheme, then naturally EVERYTHING made with AI belongs to them too.

I have a shitty attention span so I'm telling it like a 6 year old squirrel who got hit by the bus, but it was something along those lines. Or not.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. I think everyone will jump in and fit it into their production pipeline, big and small, and it will help them all I suspect.

Hollywood doesn't care about the content, just the profit margin. We might see them shifting to a more agile, smaller, faster release schedule that needs way more creative teams (but less actual technicians) because its a far less risky pipeline. The big blockbusters are failing and incredible risky. I think they are desperate for a solution that can stop the rot.

They had same issue in 60's, old, bloated and could only make blockbusters. Then came new Hollywood and indies and the mid sized film became very popular across all markets.

The big stars are going to be the interesting bit, as budgets shrink so will their fee's. This could be the death of the film star finally.

Content wise, I think professional Art AI tools will become fenced off with specific legally secure models focused on a certain type of job. Its the only way forward in my side of the industry. Many of us will be/are training AI using our own assets, so human talent is still needed to direct and set the style. I think the best work will still be driven by highly skilled humans steering AI.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Control stems not from the content created but rather the distribution and the division of revenue from creative accounting. If 19 yo Suzi Emo makes an amazing and brilliant film and nobody gets to see it because platforms are unwilling to let it pass their muster for literally any self serving reason it will not be seen by many in the future outside a small circle. Things seem to be changing and not for the better concerning freedom of expression in these, "The democratic western nations and affiliates".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List