Is it easier to transition from Reaper to another daw or from another daw to Reaper

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by samsome, Oct 8, 2021.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

when i say another daw i mean popular ones

Is it easier to transition from Reaper to another daw or from another daw to Reaper

3. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

once you go full reaper you cant go back

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. Alexander Foxx

Alexander Foxx Member

Yep, i started on cubase a lot of years ago, then moved to pro tools, then studio one and the transition to reaper was very easy, the main problem for me was that the visual interface was very ugly on reaper 5, but yeah you can move from reaper to another daw that works in a similar way without problems, the ones that would be more dificult to learn would be ableton, fl or reason, because they have another workflow that at least for me its more complicated than other daws (i think that this is because of the way i learned since i started)

5. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

If you become a pro at Reaper, other DAWs will feel much simpler.

You will feel like the guy below.

[​IMG]

6. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

Reaper transitioning is like gender transitioning but backwards.. :hillbilly:

Nah, but really..
    It's so Handy/practical it convinced me in about 5 minutes,
    I never used Cubase or any other DAW again, ever :yes:

The only downside has always been the GUI,
    but you've got a 1000 themes in the Stash to choose from.. :wink:

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

I don't know anyone who has learned all this stuff, starting out with Reaper and then moved on to Protools, Logic, Cubase or even Luna.
    100% of the Reaper users I have actually spoken with all started on something else.

8. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

Yes imo reaper as a first DAW is overwhelming and you wont even realise what is so good about it because you have no reference

9. Ghaleon777

Ghaleon777 Guest

Reaper as a main DAW for mixing and recording.... Fl Studio for the Piano Roll.
    You dont need anything else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Ableton has the fastest learning curve apparently. I do not use it as a main DAW, but that's what seems to be said quite a bit. It's easy to navigate where everything is and all of its purchaseable add-ons are drag 'n drop - Except by the sound of it, possibly not in Windows 11 i.e. unless that changes.

11. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

i've transitioned so many times, i forgot what the question was.
    my first transition was from cakewalk to.. oh hell, something not cakewalk

12. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

My colleague does it manually, when he wants my skills and experience of mixing and mastering. I would say not transition, but total resurrection of project in another DAW. He uses paper and pen for notes to traslate it perfectly.... All samples, chains, presets, channels, automations, sends etc...... Pain in ass and time spent..... But still it works....

13. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Neither path is easy.
    You will have to get used to certain features and functionality of a certain DAW, and you will have to get used to them again when you change DAWs, because certain features are not available in the new DAW or work differently.

But it gets easier to learn something new with each DAW you master. My path was:
    Fruity Loops -> Reason -> Cubase -> Logic -> Pro Tools -> Wavelab -> SADiE -> REAPER.

REAPER has become my home. There are features from other DAWs that I miss in REAPER. But it wouldn't be any different if I switched back, as REAPER has some unique features as well. Overall, REAPER gives me the best performance and feature set for my needs. I think the feature set is the most important thing in choosing which DAW is right for you.
    If you're building beats, Live or FL might be the best choice. If you're working with complex productions, Cubase or Logic might make the most sense. If you only want to deal with mastering, Wavelab is a good choice. If you need uncompromising performance, REAPER is the way to go.

14. clone

clone Audiosexual

people go back and forth about this stuff, but it is like people that work in produce not knowing the difference between an apple and an orange. daw = produce. we have recording software, and creative software. if you aren't trying to do both at the same time, it's much easier to compare the main features that actually matter for what you want to do.

15. rikyjacho

rikyjacho Member

definitely from other daws to reaper

16. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

It heavily depends on what you do (..or you're planning to do)

17. I have always used Logic, since the emagic days. Whenever I open Reaper, I just start shaking and sweating and shouting "where's all my stuff? my instruments, my effects?...where are my auxiliaries, my buses?... I can't find anything!!!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Billy Boils

Billy Boils Kapellmeister

I have been using FL Studio since it was a breakfast cereal. I wanted to change to Reaper and I recently tried to use it, without much joy. I think that FL has been tattooed into my mind.

19. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

I transitioned from Fl Studio to Reaper since downloading cracked FL was starting to get annoying among other workflow things that REALLY bothered me (routing was a mess, at least to me, among other things). Reaper felt so clunky, ugly, that ungly motherfucker ewww where do I start with this Windows 98 shit. I don't know what made me stick I can only say I agree with everything people said here, once I got the gist of it there was no turning back. Keep in mind that this was almost 2 years ago, I'm a beginner and everything makes much more sense to my dumb head on Reaper than it did on FL.