Is it dangerous to change frets on a guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Ryck, Sep 14, 2022.

1. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

bass player in a band i was in guitar fell off his shit wobbly stand, whacked my guitar and dinked a couple frets. i used really fine sand paper and just buffed them out. if your is deep, have a professional replace them. or maybe for what they' charge and its a common neck like a fender, buy a new neck. i bought a warmouth with stainless steel frets to replace the shit neck on a line 6 variax strat style guitar, its great

2. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

About neck prices, you can buy necks second hand for 50 bucks.
    Just check the frets before buying :wink:

Sometimes they are "like new", and never mounted.
    You will pay less than fret work or even tools.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Thank you all for your answers

I forgot to answer some things

It's an old electric guitar stratocaster. It was given to me by my uncle when I was 13 years old. The brand is Hyundai. The part of the body where the microphones go, broke and about 8 years ago I changed it for one that I bought on Ebay.
    I also bought the frets on Ebay, they came already cut, they are silver colored. The ones my guitar has are gold.

I was looking at some luthiers and found one that charges very cheap, something like 30 dollars (Official) 60 (Dolar Blue) (Here we have two types of dollar, the official, and the blue, "black market").

But as already mentioned here, I might think about buying a Neck. I'll would have to get one in good condition (used).

But thanks again for all the answers, if it wasn't for you guys telling me "Don't do it". I would have already tried to change the frets and I would be holding my head.

4. MdB

MdB Guest

lets hope its not a set neck

but if its an indian made squier, a 700euros fender neck will do the job .... oh wait
    why am i answering if i dont know anything about the guitar :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Yes sorry, I already mentioned the details. It's stratocaster

6. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

I would recommend a good guitar repair shop or a preferably Luthier, personally I only use a well known local luthier, a few of my guitars are valuable collectors items

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List