Is it Clipping or something else & where?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by SwingSwing, Mar 29, 2018.

1. SwingSwing

SwingSwing Member

Hi everyone,

I have a pair of JBL LSR305 monitor speakers and I am not in control of them so far :no:

They seem to be clipping when I work in the DAW but when I listen to music outside the daw it can be much louder than that and there is no clipping at all. Also I have their loudness set to 7/10. And my master channel is also not clipping (rather around 7/10, too). If I turn them down the "noise" goes away.

So I can't quite explain what is going on. I was also not sure if something nearby is reverberating, but setting the monitors up in a different spot makes clear that it's the monitor itself. Maybe something is loose... but if so, why is there no problem with listening to loud music?

Thanks a lot for any idea :shalom:

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

So much guessing (for us as well). Try to find the root/cause of the problem first.
    Is the problem in both speakers? What frequency does it "rattle"? Tried other sound sources? What is the "noise" that you speak of? etc

4. YFManagement

YFManagement Kapellmeister

maybe the output on your interface need to be turn down maybe ? to match the volume of default soundcard

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

There seem to be two different problems at the same time, the clipping and the reverberating, as you described it.

Of course there can be clipping in the mix, with the master channel set at -X and showing no clipping. This can happen within a channel (for instance with 16bit plugs, which are easily to clip), even if the channel fader is set lower than ±0.
    And with lower volume SPL this sound can vanish because of the different frequency perception of the human hearing at different volumes (see Fletcher-Munson).
    But, to proof if the clipping is in the mix, or the monitors, just check it with headphones.

When your monitors produce this strange reverberating with different music at different places, there's probably something wrong with them.