is iPad worth it or useless?

Discussion in 'Mobile' started by tzzsmk, Oct 31, 2022.

1. JEPasCP1

JEPasCP1 Member

if you have MPE app, that's kinda deal to me, the rest of what ipad offers is meh...

2. sisi617

sisi617 Newbie

i prefer keyboard better than touch to input. so actually i like notebook more. evern a little bigger.

3. CheeseMan

CheeseMan Newbie

I'm curious of anyone using their ipad for a drum pad. I can't imagine it being as good as hardware though, as in a maschine mikro or beatstep or something along those lines.

4. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

It's worth it if you're willing to learn how things work. It won't be instant sound nirvana.

Synthwise there's stuff you can't find elsewhere: Animoog/Animoog Z (especially Z, jesus fuck that's a great synth), Drambo, Sunrizer.

But the main thing is using the touchscreen for it's advantage, for control:

I use TouchOSC to create custom control surfaces for livesets or just Reaktor ensembles. I also use the same thing as a remote play/stop/record-button (really on my phone), so I don't have to be next to my computer or controllers when I record my guitar or bass (which is more natural standing up).

For alternatives to keyboards there's VelocityKB (a customizable MPE controller) and SoundPrism (a chord/bass touchpad based on the circle of fifths, but also customizable). Animoogs can send MPE stuff as well, works fantastically with, say, Surge XT.

And if you use these particular pieces of software: Ableton Note is a really intuitive and fast way to get ideas down, at it autosyncs with their cloud offering so you can continue your idea on Ableton on your computer directly. Same thing with iMaschine 2, if you use Maschine then you can tap some beats and play some melodies and basslines and import them to the software proper. For the rest most support Ableton Link so you can tweak your things synched with the project.

But I think it can be worth it, but it won't be immediately obvious. Apart from the music stuff there's plenty of uses for a tablet, so dip your toes into the music thing slowly, one app at a time.

5. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I've not really used it as a drum pad, but you get velocity sensitive pads using Velocity KB.

But no, it does not replace hardware as such in the studio. I never reach out for my tablet when my Maschine is in reach, that's true.

It's fun on the road though, tapping beats which works without velocity sensitivity as most software doesn't support it directly.

6. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Is the iMaschine removed from app store? Native Instruments only shows Traktor as their only productin app store. Weird.

7. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

"Editing on iPad is Hell"

:rofl::rofl:

8. statik

statik Audiosexual

it seems to have passed away. i still have it installed though and it's still working.

Source

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List