Is Electro House Like McDonalds

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by remix, Jan 12, 2012.

1. remix

remix Platinum Record

I read somewhere that they thought Electro House was like McDonalds...

An initial rush of satisfaction followed ultimately by a feeling of emptiness....

I think they may have had a point...

I remember hearing Windowlicker and thinking it was the most complex and interesting thing id ever heard....

Now anyone can recreate those glitches and effects so easily i seem to have been desensitized to anything technically impressive nowadays...

so it seems melody and harmony are still the major weapon in a producers armoury...

hmmmm

3. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

bullshit

4. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

Bullshit ? I don't think so.
    Electro/house records are not made to last and this observation applies to all type of current dance music records.
    I call this Kleenex-records.
    Do you listen with pleasure to dance music dating from one year or two ? Me never.
    But I still listen today with the same happiness, enthusiasm and admiration to thirty years old Neil Rogers' productions.
    Glitches and effects are widespread to compensate massive lack of artistic skills... Melody and harmony, that's it.

A little lesson for the young generation : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj6q9w_masterclass-nile-rodgers-chic-paris-2010_music

5. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

EH tracks are more something to listen to 2-3 times. It's ok to hear a good EH mix for 1-2 hours. Also a complete clubbin night w/ EH may be very exciting.

BUT I won't listen to it at work or in my car while driving or doing sports.

EH is usually so heavily compressed, it's hard to get NOT annoyed, cause there is a lack of dynamics. So from this kinda view, it's getting boring very fast. With this in mind, a comparision to McD isn't that wrong. It always sounds kinda flat - always the same.

6. obscure

obscure Newbie

Melody and harmony......
    ......the ground beneath our feet, and the sky above our heads...
    ......everywhere, and yet, nowhere to be seen.

Confused, you are about this? :wink:

Everything else can be considered just like clothes you put on in the morning, or the twist of vanilla in the tea!!!

Music, or more specifically, harmony (from where melody is derived), is one of the very laws of this universe.

It is only natural that it holds more sway than the sound effects of a certain genre dreamed up by flawed humans.

:grooves:

7. keeron

keeron Newbie

good topic bro... i think ur right ... every1 to ther own opinion.. but i think it is like mc donalds lol

8. lukie

lukie Newbie

@ Lord Gaga
    Electro/house is not a product made to last and this observation applies to all type of current dance music.

The British press gave acid house one week when it hit the uk back in 88, but for those that know it been going on since late 86 early 87.
    Thats about twentey-six years later :break:

Electro/house is not my style of muisc, It's all horses for courses.

9. PedroCelso

PedroCelso Newbie

only that my friend,in all music genres (at least that i know) ^^

10. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

@Lukie,
    "The British press gave acid house one week when it hit the uk back in 88, but for those that know it been going on since late 86 early 87.
    Thats about twentey-six years later."

You've misunderstood my thought, but it's because of my bad english :( .
    When I say "Electro/house is not a product made to last and this observation applies to all type of current dance music.", I'm not talking about the music style ; I meant : An Electro/house record or any other current dance music record is not made to last.
    On the opposite, dance music records from the 80's are still appreciated today by a large audience. We will see if people will enjoy listening to any today's hits from David Guetta in three years...

P.S. : I've edited my post thanks to your comment :wink: .

11. mrmuck

mrmuck Newbie

look at rap went commercial and stayed that shitty way it happens to all genres eventually as for electro house i like it but its not that hard to make and you know its mc donalds when you can not distinguishing one song from the other 10 you just played

i agree about melody and harmony though but people want simple beeps and bleeps bubblegum music

12. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

And that's why many today's DJs (which are indeed very talented mixers/technicians) turns their gig into an endless and boring night.

13. remix

remix Platinum Record

I love Electro House, it just seems like MRMUCK said above that its getting to the point that all the records are starting to sound exactly the same...

Same as the dynamics argument mentioned above too...One continuous stream of highly compressed noise...

Its a shame really because its a really exciting genre that has so much potential...

@Lord Gaga - Chic had amazing production, Nile Rogers and the bass player where unbelievable...

14. stensax

stensax Newbie

i cannot understand how somebody can listen and feel something significant inside when listening to house, like when you hear a beautiful song.
    i could never get that "musical" feeling i get when i listen to soul or jazz like chet baker, coltran etc. or music like radiohead or the beatles.
    techno, house (or whatever you call it) is soulless to me.
    it is good for the disco but it have no artistic value to me.

this is just my opinion. techno = bad music

show me a good techno song?

cheers

15. flowmika

flowmika Ultrasonic

I'm of that age now I'm 45 produced for years and now i feel like giving it all up, what is the point as somebody said its so easy to re create anything becoming crappy in the process, i was into acid house in 86 had the piss taken out of me because i loved kraftwerk in and fad gadget and throbbing gristle and original street sounds electro
    now with people like whats his name david getta or whatever hes called and the swedish house whores there has been a massive shift in all styles look at all the r&b stars turning into crappy euro trancy not that i think any modern R&B is any good
    homogenized
    generation
    with a communal app to breath

16. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

"If everybody is a musician, and everybody is making mediocre music, evenly the world is just cover with mediocrity, and people start to become confortable of mediocrity. And that to me is the danger." - Moby

Check here : http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/1593-presspauseplay/page__gopid__13012#entry13012 :wink:

17. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

It's only McDonald's if you get change back. LOL

18. obscure

obscure Newbie

Che.... Giving Up Already?

Is taking the safe and comfortable path of sitting back, complaining and whining like the rest of those bozos finally looking good to you now?

A man's never done until he says he's satisfied and there's nothing more to be done! :wink: