Is buying a Bass guitar still worth it ?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by albar, Feb 5, 2021.

1. phaser1

phaser1 Noisemaker

Unlike drums which usually requires a room (and not all rooms sound good), multiple, well-placed Expensive mics and mic-pres with great compressors and EQ as well as the kit itself, which needs to be tuned, have fresh heads and, you know, a talented drummer, recording guitars has got to be about the easiest instrument to deal with apart from probably a keyboard synthesizer... Whether it's Sans Amp or the Line 6 Pod line, it's Pretty easy to get good (to downright extraordinary) guitar tone. Bass arguably even easier, depending on the style. If you can play guitar at all, and can actually play decent bass, it's definitely going to sound better than any synth bass even if you've got amazing patches.

I got the Marcus Miller expansion card for my JV-1080 and the bass tone is Amazing but it sounds pretty robotic and unless that's fine because you're doing that on purpose (either for effect or the genre is good for it), it falls short in my opinion. I've recorded Hundreds of cues and songs using Just keyboard bass. A ton of commercial stuff we've all heard also use keyboard bass. But a lot stuff is Definitely being performed by a live player (just about any funk or smooth jazz with a live band, like Brian Bromberg for example).

In the last six years, I switched to playing Live bass tracks and in my own opinion, my tracks sound a thousand time better and I actually was playing a pretty crappy bass (this entry level Ibanez thing). I've since spent a couple of grand on "real" bass gear (including a Nice Spectre 5 string and a Fender Mustang) and the hammer ons, pull offs, slap/pluck alternates or picking just blow my patches out of the water (and I've done some fairly elaborate MIDI sequences involving multiple simultaneous bass tracks).

Another thing to consider is "why not both?" I did a track where Most of it is live, but there's this one section that sounded better by switching to my synth patch. In that case, though, to be honest, it's 'cause I was using a garbage bass. I've since started using basses with nicer pickups and I probably wouldn't have needed the synth track now, although since it sounds good, I don't care to necessarily re-do it. In the end, it's less about what you're supposed to do and more about doing whatever it takes to make something sound good.

2. odod

odod Rock Star

the audio to midi, and following piano or drum midi are killer features .. and i love EZ Bass sound, it is mix ready sound to my ears ..

3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I can't tell, I have 5 basses and I'm buying a 6th one ... :rofl:

Seriously, if you're a guitarist, you could use Jam Origin or MiGiC to play your own lines.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. odod

odod Rock Star

i really love that MIDI Guitar tho, have it on my ipad ..and it is nice

let's jam? using jamtaba .. shall we?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  5. fritzm

fritzm Producer

Somebody needs to remove the fish from the picture! :yes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

Man, I'm in the same boat.
    Other than the 4-string J-Bass, I have a custom 5-string with Ken Smith pickups, Aguilar OBP-3 and a Gotoh bridge and tuners that sounds nothing short of the original and now I'm thinking about another custom with P-Bass pickups and a Musicman pickup so I can cover anything imaginable sound and style wise.
    Pic for context:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  7. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

+1 for OBP-3. Only a true bass hero understands the "active" part of a bass. Maybe I'll get one in the future, but love my all stock P-bass Deluxe.

8. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

ah okay, good point. Was just curious how other people work

9. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

Can never have enough instruments! I don’t “need” 7 guitars, but it’s not stopped me!

10. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

My favorite pre next to Sadowsky onboard pre on the J-Bass.
    I was always a J-Bass guy but now I'm dying for a P-Bass so I thought to combine the two and get the Musicman pickup also, strap some flats on it and make my way motown :bleh:

11. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

try a Deluxe if you have the chance, a hybrid of P and J. You'll love the neck.
    Hope OP gets it now, NEVER EVER EVER get a bass. It's over the moment you get one. :rofl:
    My next one will be this one!

12. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

Yup, thought about PJ-Bass too. I've tried one a long time ago and didn't like it, but that was before I started liking the P-Bass sound.
    I'll try one for sure as soon as I can :yes:
    And yes, getting into bass develops into a full-on addiction :rofl:

13. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Guitars? I have 12, and I'm buying another one tomorrow... But it will be the last one... I sweare... :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Keep saying this to yourself.... It gives good conscience. :rofl:
    That's what I do heach time I buy a new one.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yeah, remove the fish, let the bass alone. :rofl:

16. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

That would be great if it's 100% anonymous.

Guys!!! We are going off topic... Stealing the thread form op.
    Let's go to bass guitar forum https://audiosex.pro/forums/bass-guitars.97/ :winker:

17. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

Real Bass Playing is quite different (technique wise, than any sort of VST. I play both, but I'm a Bass player first. They may sound similar on recordings, but there is a technique and sound of live bass that simply can't be matched other than in a very simplistic form.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

I have 4 electrics, 6 string, 12 string, Spanish, 2 mandolins, 2 basses and a violin, and I know it’s bad of me, but I cannot justify any more (or have the room!) for now!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Ehmm.. what fish?
    :rofl:
    Edited: what's so funny bastards??! Oh, wait... nervermind... :hahaha:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  20. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

A real instrument will always sound more realistic and be more flexible than a plugin.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List