Is buying a Bass guitar still worth it ?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by albar, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

@mudworm43 Lowrell - Mellow, Mellow, Right On. The electric bass comes in on top of the synth bass after a while...
    Anyway.
    AI !!! Eh? Yeah.
    AI is great. That's my on-topic comment done.

2. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

do you mean emulating synth bass on bass guitar or other way around?? In my band I play a lot of horn / key / string parts as riffs as a way to make it fit in with our sound. As you say, works wonders on getting your fingers away from muscle memory.

Out of interest and given what you have said, have you seen this vid??? It’s a fucking classic!!!

3. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

Yes! My favorite combo, synth bass layered with a J-bass on the bridge position or a Musicman.

4. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

I bought a killer Yamaha bass for $240 years ago and it sounds dynamite!
    Can you play bass? I find it much simpler than guitar or keys.
    You need to fit between the kick drum and the melody.
    Once you're locked in, you've got the groove :winker:

5. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about! Emulating synth bass on the bass guitar.
    And yes, the vid is a classic :yes: a great bass line!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Smoove Grooves

Yeah, man! I dig it.
    And just look at how I actually thought I was in another thread to do with AI !
    That's f*cking classic and I'm going to leave that up and look like an idiot!

7. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

I think any time you are pushing yourself outside the usual with your instrument, you improve in some way. Plus, I love being in a bar with a PRS through a Soldano emulation, a very loud PA and playing the horn sections on SuperstitioN. Make my trouser area feel like it’s grown a few inches...

I was hoping you HADN’T seen, only because I remember the joy I had when I first saw it, i watched about 10 times on repeat. It’s not that it’s technically difficult that I like it, it’s the fact it’s so funky and has this epic groove. He’s a dude!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

:rofl:

Davie is a great player! And I definitely did put it on repeat too, for an entire afternoon :hillbilly:
    Thanks for refreshing my memory about this one, I'll actually get busy practicing. :bow:

9. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

that he is! I remember watching a documentary about Chic, and how when they were in the studio and they heard Bernard Edwards do the bass line for Good Times and just all stopped and looked, because it was kind of the first time the bass became the hook. Whenever that comes on, it’s hard not to do air bass to it (and possibly the only time it’s acceptable to play air bass).

I stepped away from the guitar-playing speed / technique race a long time ago (partially because I couldn’t play that stuff well or be arsed to put the time in to “copy” someone else’s playing), and when I see some of the stuff on Insta, it’s “almost” enough to make me want to quit, but a lot of the time, it’s just got no soul, no feel. It’s technically amazing, but it’s technique for techniques sake. But that, it’s musical, it’s funky, and you are dead inside if when he does the octave drop, hangs a second then goes lower that you don’t do a little jiggle and pretend you are playing it yourself.

10. Smoove Grooves

My face just changes like I smelt something bad or I'm trying not to come.

11. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

THE STANK FACE :guitarhero:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

Yeah! Absolutely agree, one of the best bass lines in the existence.
    I feel the same way sometimes when looking through Instagram and seeing 9 year olds that would put folks with 10-20 years of experience to shame, but you're right. In 90% of the cases, those type of players lack soul, feel, everything.
    It's just pure ego pouring out instead of letting the soul pour through you.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2021
  13. Smoove Grooves

After having watched this sooo many times, as you guys probably have, I started to watch the guy in the striped top to the right of the screen.
    That's when I realised it hits us all the same! haha
    Love how he tries to keep it cool!

And if you don't want to buy a bass guitar after this...then I really don't know...

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

Ooh yeah! This one is an effin classic too! Forgot about it completely! Thanks :mates:
    You can't help it but to have the stank face throughout the video :rofl:
    Here's another stank face contender

15. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

used to get that watching Sungha Jung, especially as he used to play a lot of other peoples arrangements, and it’s a skill in itself (I’m shite at fingerstyle because I’m a leftie that plays right handed, opposite of Jimi), but as you say, no soul or emotion.

this is still one of my favourite ever performances. Still feeling every note after 20 years (and the 12 string bit is why I bought a 12 string!!)

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

That’s a new one for me, but a welcome watch!!

Saw a vid not long ago with Nathan East doing Superstition at a trade show, and it just was technique, and I just thought “come on, you are soooo much better than that”

17. Smoove Grooves

Jerry played with CHIC at Glastonbury.
    Managed to rip that in full off YT before the Beeb took it down.
    Brilliant gig.
    So pleased Nile got rid of the coked up 'Jimi Hendrix' percussionist prior to that gig!
    There is a funny CHIC gig on YT where he knocks over all his kit!
    He had to go.

Edit:
    Disclaimer: I am not druggist or cokeist in any way. Each to his or her own.
    But this guy that happened to play some percussion with Jimi at Woodstock (or was it Isle Of White?) was often so off his head...in a not so good way.
    So Nile made the right decision in time for Glastonbury, imo.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  18. mudworm43

mudworm43 Guest

The worst thing for me is to see when great musicians head in that direction of just showing off essentially, solo after a solo on every other song. It has nothing to do with the song, it takes away from it. It's like "look at me how good I am". We know. Play the song.

19. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

just saw this a few days ago. yes buy a bass and get good at it. or hire a good bass player....

shit, or use ezbass...

its your music with your name on it. do what you want

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  20. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

I understand it’s a way to pay the bills, especially if he isn’t touring with Eric, but I guess that’s what people see as being a great musician, hence the race to be this technical player and then technique takes over.

the flip side for me is Paul Gilbert, I fucking love that guy, not because of his own stuff, but for the fact he does things like ABBA, Gonna Fly Now, his electric version of To Be With You, and most importantly, the Spice Girls. And god love him, he tries to sing it too (I too am a lead guitarist that delusionally believes they can sing beyond BV’s...). Those things are just gold, and he always seems to have such a genuine passion for music.