Is Burn in a Myth or did i get used to Crappy Monitors?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by dway, Oct 17, 2013.

1. dway

dway Newbie

I had some yamaha hs 80's but found them to bright to mix for a long time, but after i got rid of em all other monitors sounded a little dull. For some strange reason the hs 80's had this crazy luv hate mid range thing going that could make the speaker pull double duty as a pleasure to listen to and a studio tool. Furthermore, even though they had this exciting mids and highs they translate well.

Now that there discontinued i compare them to the new hs 8's and the've dulled the highs alittle and raised the bass at first i thought this sucks, Then i heard them burned in and i thought hmmm, they sound better now. Is my mind playing tricks on me. :dunno:

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Maybe some folks here would not agree with me, but I believe burn-in, or correct term break-in is completely real. I heard huge difference on my K701 after 150 hours. Loudspeakers/monitors are quite surely also affected and probably on a bigger scale. :thumbsup:

4. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

I agree with Andrew on this one. Gotta let those new woofers loosen up and get used to the vibrations we perceive as sound. Not so sure about tweeter break in, but for sure woofers have a certain break in time in my opinion. When you think about it, though, it could be you just getting use to the speakers frequency strengths and flaws. Did you listen to the new models in a treated room?

5. dway

dway Newbie

yeah i heard them in intervals of about a week apart.

6. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

That can only mean one thing...................................you heard right............................... and "burn in".................................. IS REAL!!!!!!!!!!!! :grooves:

7. dway

dway Newbie

thanks for the affirmation :thumbsup: lol!

8. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

just like a pair of new shoes fits better after wearing them for a few days...speakers are mechanical devices, no matter whether we're talking about headphones, guitar cabs, loudspeaker ....they all need some time before they give you their real tone. This is definitely no trick, it's just physics!

9. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

How do any of you want to tell after weeks/months if a speaker/headphone sounds different than on the day you bought them?

Seriously, man... the ear/brain can memorize a certain sound in all it's nuances for only a few seconds.
    There is NO WAY you can remember exactly how your speakers sounded 1 month ago, and compare that to how they sound now.

Of course you could notice, if the speakers would be defect, or some pretty drastic changes.
    But as of "burn-in", if that exists, we're talking about subtleties, right?

The only way to do such a comparison would be to take two speakers/headphones of the same model and same manufacturing date, one completely unused, the other "burned in", and compare them directly.
    And even then you could not be sure, IF you hear a difference, if it's because of a "burn in", or just some tolerances in the manufacturing/materials used.