Is anyone getting tired of yet another massive Toontrack SDX library?

Discussion in 'Software' started by RachProko, Feb 5, 2024.

1. MFShreddage

MFShreddage Kapellmeister

I always use Mixwave libraries (mostly gojira mario duplantier), I will download it and test it to see how it sounds compared to those mixwave libraries.
    Many Thanks

2. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Also as a (former) drummer I find using Superior so much easier than dealing with the drums for 85% of my projects. And people are generally fooled because they know I'm a drummer. And Superior wins because they put such detail into the brass. A lot of people have put out good tub samples but the cymbals are always lacking detail and subtlety.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Fireplace

Fireplace Ultrasonic

And there you have it. These libraries are huge, sure, but considering all the different drum VST's I mixed & matched before I got into SD3 and that have now been wiped off my HD, SD3 has actually saved me some space!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  4. robie

robie Kapellmeister

The only thing I'm tired of with these releases is trying to figure out where to find the room for them on my drives. I keep running out of space and then have to figure out what gets deleted. In general, I think the large majority of these Toontrack libraries are quite good, and worthwhile.

5. Demon

Demon Producer

You can always resell the library if it didn't suit your work. Unless you got it for free, in which case, why even complain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. typical-love

typical-love Producer

Actually the opposite for me... DL'ing now Origin rn, looking at videos of it this might be the best SD3 library to me

7. gsmogli

gsmogli Newbie

I'm tired of those metal drum kits, because it's satanic music that destroyed rock n roll and nice pop folk, western ballads.

8. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

9. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I'd like the kit template like Area33, but it lacks the double-bass some might want.
    I want all the kit pieces but don't care about the all the extra mics.
    One can really build a kit that sounds as if it is right in front of you with all the mics and bleeds...
    but I don't need the green bullet mic in the hallway bathroom toilet to complete the sound.
    I understand that the goals of producers are likely a world away from my own likes as a hobbyist.
    They might want to be able to grab and tweak kit mixes for many different genres, whereas I like to make a couple of "Dream Kits".
    That means kits for which I dream of being able to write tracks that use more than 2% of the available pieces.
    I see Area33-Origin's 13 toms as a challenge.

10. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

since digital is ones and zeros, they could halve the size of the downloads by stripping out the zeros.
    I think they have a deal with most major ISP to burn all your available bandwidth. I'm still downloading that lifesized 3d model of the Titanic, and I started that almost a year ago.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

Of course Seagate, Sandisk... are behind this too. Actually plugin companies are fake business models to spend data space on computers and servers. Millions of TB, in revenues for HDD builders:welcome:

12. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I like it (Stockholm). The range of snares in particular is amazing. The sampling is clean and detailed and you can process it your way or go out of the box. Pretty sure it's a keeper.

13. Booya

Booya Newbie

Keep 'em coming!

14. Garamondo Furbish

its actually flooded by mediocrity, it just comes in different flavors..

15. Garamondo Furbish

i'm installing Superior today to give it a test drive. Its so much smaller than an actual drummer and it won't drink my liquor....

16. clone

clone Audiosexual

They are bloated. Many people who do not use SD3 do not sheerly because of the library size. Just like Kontakt. And there are many minified Kontakt libraries that get far more downloads. You can just look at the completed download numbers and see that. People have been using hd space requirements as a selling point for drum libraries since BFD. Many of the better sounding metal tracks I have heard online (from producers using sample based drums) lately are Gojira samples, but from Kontakt. They'll probably just stick all their libs on an AI server you upload your Midi to anyway, so it's probably too late to matter that much.

17. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

It is like this libraries you can buy directly on an SSD to your home, because they are so big, nobody wants to pay for servers.
    And this makes me think on the fix for all this, would be to find "The big big release" Like the arturias ones for example, but with all the audio stuff, ready to use. 15TB, updated once a year. One click solution.
    The rest is paying with our time for tools that maybe we dont use, just for the shake of try before buy. IMO

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

No, Toontrack maybe do not want to pay for servers. Last Friday (iirc) Mark Zuckerberg made like 50 Billion dollars in stock market value in one day, by waking up and looking at the indexes. Drums and other percussion sounds are some of the first human inventions. A few guys with some sticks and stones started banging them together, and women showed up. Other guys without sticks and stones then showed up with beer. Those first guys figured out they could actually get paid to make better sticks and stones to sell to the others, and not have to go to do real work that day. And it has all spiraled downward ever since. They can already replace human vocalists with their AI. But when they start being able to completely replace human drummers with AI, there will also be no need for entire factories full of human employees to manufacture any more sticks and stones.

19. Parasite-B

Parasite-B Platinum Record

Nope. Not at all.

20. Garamondo Furbish

now do cymbals...