Is anyone getting tired of yet another massive Toontrack SDX library?

Discussion in 'Software' started by RachProko, Feb 5, 2024.

1. RachProko

RachProko Producer

Just listened to new 'Stockholm' (38 GB) and 'Stories' (148 GB) SDX libraries. I just wonder what's the added value to other massive libraries like 'Area 33 (189 GB) 'Rooms of Hansa' (121 GB) or 'Legacy of Rock' (179 GB)? Maybe it's just me? But I just can't hear any more value than just another massive library of processed drums we've already heard before?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

The demon is in the details:guru:

4. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Tired of..? What? Its very simple to just scroll past them. As a legal user i can agree that alot of whats released doesnt add much to SD. But i also understand why they do as they do. On the other hand most VSTi drum plugins and their expansions etc is very similair in sound. But if you build your own sound and not preset browsing there is big value in thoose expansions if you know what to look for.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

If I have one extremely detailed drum library that can do almost everything I need across multiple genres, I'm perfectly fine with 100-200GB. That would be Rooms of Hansa for me.

With that said I think TT should always focus on quality over quantity of libraries, but they wanna make that cassssh so they need to keep releasing new libs.

Imo I would like EZ Guitar or EZ Bass 2 before any more drum libraries.

Idk I'm not tired of it. We're just very fortunate to be able to try them for free. So what if they're large.

6. MBC_Music

MBC_Music Producer

Yup. And Superior Drummer 3 libraries are by far the most detailed at the moment.

7. EyelessFRL

EyelessFRL Member

Area 33 might be almost 200 gb, but sounds great and works for almost everything if you know how to tweak it. IMHO it sounds better than a 5 gb kontakt library.

8. RachProko

RachProko Producer

How are those details portrait in you music? Do you really need another new 148 GB library to portrait what you couldn't do with the other libraries?

9. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

Remember you need to collect all of the pokemons than your tracks will sound the bestest!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. panaman

panaman Kapellmeister

get it while you can, you never know how your needs evolve over time.
    20 years ago i used to untick surround before burning dvds to save space. what a dumb thing to do.

11. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

We'll see. A couple SDXs that really underwhelmed me with tbe demos wound up being what I use all the time, Rooms Of Hanza and Hitmaker.

12. Fireplace

Fireplace Ultrasonic

You're absolutely right, enough already with all that high quality stuff for the elitist Illuminati. What we need is a fresh load of Boom Bap sample packs, preferably a few thousand of them. All rights reserved of course.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  13. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

Use it loose it and use it again if need be.

14. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

Boom Baps are great actually, I'm against charging $ for them I but like listening those chopped old records just for fun and inspiration.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  15. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

It is not needed. But what else do you need than air, and water and food to live.

Ask Toontrack, if this model is profitable, if they are covering a need or not. What is the feedback from his customers. Which part of the world commerce is about need, and wich is about marketing and faked needs?
    Here some people provide paid tools to other users for free, so just say thanks. Or shut up. Because what is clear is complaining on this forum is not gonna portrait in your music.

16. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I think this is the case. Aint nobody had problem with something they don't want. If they do, it's them. Me I don't think Area 33 added any value to whatever but I just ignored it like I'd for anything I don't like. Well I did download and test it, deleted it right away because it sucks ass hard. I'd rather smash the clean kit to get that sound instead of starting from smashed sound like that but hey that's just me. The new SDX Stockholm is cool and I've been waiting for it. It adds value to the thing I'm doing. It's the thing missing from the SDX collection I have so far, I think it's kinda time wasting for anyone ever trying to explain what it is and I don't expect it to make sense to anyone either. Still can fathom why you would start of discussion like this. Of course Stockholm wouldn't make any sense to a metalhead but then again not everyone is a metalhead. If you are a master at say metal genre, that doesn't necessarily mean you'd be master at Amapiano too automatically. There are stuff that is beyond your knowledge, it applies to everyone and it's doesnt really matter. Wonder why that simple concept is hard to process.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. MFShreddage

MFShreddage Kapellmeister

I have some of tiny libraries for metal genre, which of those huge libraries you guys recommend for metal(for modern metal)?

18. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

not tired of it. those libraries are very good. if it takes 100 gigs, so be it.

19. EyelessFRL

EyelessFRL Member

Area 33 would be my first choice if you want to tweak and find your own sound, it sounds more natural than orther TT libraries and also of the metal libraries they´ve made, i think is the most versatile, you can go outside metal also.. If you dont want to spend a los of time working on that, i think that DEATH gives you results faster for modern metal, but to my ears it sounds a little bit more artifficial.

20. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

real drummer with real drums (+ layered with some one shot samples) can be more usable option,
    or maybe go for physical modeling drums like IK MODO DRUM instead of sample libraries?
    :chilling:

or, you can go wild and synthesize drums with Fabfilter Volcano 3 :woot:

21. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Being a drummer I latched on to SD (and later EZD in a lesser way) a long time ago and use it almost exclusively on every non-EDM track that uses percussion and kit drums. I noticed straight away that these lib's although hideously huge are largely imitated but never duplicated in terms of playability on an ekit, the quality of sound, and the drop dead realism that you can get from them. If you're questioning the value of these tools then you're either happy with the plethora of mediocrity out there when it comes to quality and those imitations I mentioned earlier, or perhaps you're not creating in genre's that appreciate what these tools bring to the table. Some are simply happy playing with sample packs and that's fine too. I have them all with respect to the "imitations" and while there may be a place and time to use some of them for effect, I always end up back with the TT lib's when I get to serious drum tracking. They each have their base sound and some are more subtle than others in their differences, but no matter what genre you're looking for (short of EDM) there's always an SD3 lib that fulfills. So, until something gets created that sounds and plays as good (in every respect) as these SD lib's with a fraction of the byte-count I'll just be beefing up with more storage space and keep grabbing these as soon as they show up on the scene.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List