Is analog modeling pirating?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PopstarKiller, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Fortunately patents expire much more quickly than copyrights, which--"thanks" to Disney--will probably end up being perpetually extended just about to infinity. Or in the words of Toy Story: To Infinity and Beyond! Trademarks are basically indefinite unless the business in question stops operation, but unless you're trying to cash in on brand reputation then it's a non-issue really.

Copyright is by far the biggest hurdle. When you've got great-great-grandchildren still getting licensing checks from the hard work of some distant and long dead relative, well... that doesn't seem much to the benefit of society anymore.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  2. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

No, but they literally do copy the sound and behaviour of a lexicon reverb by using dynamic IRs, as is the case of Slate Verbsuite. Steven Slate claims that it sounds 100% like the original. He is very fond of doing those blind tests. Whether or not it does sound like the original doesn't matter too much because the point is that they copy something else directly in order to sell a product, and PRIDE themselves on copying it perfectly.

As I said, simple compressor plugins don't sell very well, but copy the look of an 1176 for the GUI and suddenly you've got yourself suckers lining up to buy it. This is a case where sound doesn't matter as much as publicity, and the publicity is reliant on the reputation of the original analog unit.

3. PrimeWave

PrimeWave Newbie

There is difference between copying exact sound with different tech and copying exact tech to achieve exact sound.

4. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

how big is the chance you ever will own all the classic synths that are emulated, ? i would not see it as piracy but as a gift from the Gods to be able to play such rare and vintage gear

5. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

You can say the same about piracy.

6. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Why do you think that this was a cool one-liner? China is the world's largest producer of trademark piracy. That's why I mention China. I don't care if Nike pays a factory in China, Thailand, Vietnam, Bangladesh or India to produce the shoes. It's where they are pirated, that is of interest.

7. tooloud

tooloud Guest

If only this common sense prevailed when George Harrison was forced to pay millions for using the chords, D, A, G in My Sweet Lord.

8. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I've traced over every single frame of The Lord of Rings, painted each one as realistically as possible by hand and am distributing it under the name 'The King of the Bands'.

Sue me.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  9. TwinBorther

TwinBorther Kapellmeister

Is it a good analogy, tho?

10. TwinBorther

TwinBorther Kapellmeister

Wait, hang on; So, after all of this, how does people who afirm "piracy" feel about wavetable synths? i.e. Serum?

11. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

It's an awesome trilogy.

Probably the same way I feel about Reaktor: same same but different.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017