Is Adam Szabo's Viper worth a purchase?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Bunford, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Really like the sound of this one, as an ex-owner of a Virus Ti2, but just wondering if it's worth a purchase for a techno/tech house producer? Is it updated regularly, and are they quality updates?

Is it worth it with the latest Usual Suspects' OsTIrus release, as I imagine Viper will be more economical on its CPU usage?

3. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton Kapellmeister

i have both.. both are good i can say.. for techno yes.. not sure about tech house.. its not updated often tho.. so soundsets you can find on the internet. but i like viper too... but ostirus is virus emulation

4. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I am just a hobbyist who never owned any hardware virus, but have messed with Osirus and OsTirus quite a bit.
    I find all 3 fun and not frustrating, and for me that means pretty easy to make sounds / alter sounds and understand what changed and how!
    Some synths it takes me a long time to figure out what I did wrong, or when i do something right , how the hell i did it.
    So I bought Viper.

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Adam did a really good job to create a good close Virus clone, and its also a good alternative if you want to use less CPU resources for basic virus sounds.

I know we have the osirus and ostirus now for free, but there is something nice about using Viper just like u use Sylenth1 or Serum without worrying about your physical CPU Cores. Also VIper does load Virus banks and the sound is so close.

OsTIrus is emulating the DSP Chips inside the Virus Ti Snow and TI2, so that it can run the Virus OS on it inside the plugin.

Viper uses own DSP code to get as close to the virus sound as you can.

If you are not for the "extra 5% sound", then Viper can deliver very close sound!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Chaindog

Chaindog Producer

Viper also can load mid files from ALL Virus versions, as far as I know.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. mino45

mino45 Kapellmeister

If your CPU is a limiting factor, then Viper is a good alternative. If not, I don't think you really need it that much. It does sound good though. I read somewhere on here, that you can load your own wavetables with Viper, which might be an argument too, but I don't know if that is actually true. I am sure someone will be able to confirm it though.

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I have a Ryzen 5950X 32 core CPU, so CPU is not so much of a factor. I used to like my Virus Ti2 but sold it about a year ago, and now longing for that Virus sound :rofl:

9. shythornyregime

shythornyregime Newbie

I've been meaning to get Viper but the website seems to be perpetually down. Just doesn't load for me.

10. AudioSox

AudioSox Ultrasonic

To me Viper is like a Virus+. It has all of the Ti features, and you can load your own waveforms and wavetables. It's also much much lighter on the CPU than the emulator. In my own tests in Reaper, it's 30 times(!!!) less CPU hungry than OsTirus.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  11. Margaret

Margaret Platinum Record

Buying Viper now in your case have sense only if you wanna support warez community and send it to R2R, if not don't buy it now.
    In december always was -25% discount so I bet this year it will be too.
    At least wait until december. Until then consider this purchase carefully.
    This is my advice. Cheers :mates:

12. clone

clone Audiosexual

Do you really think the reason there has been no R2R release of this, is because they cannot get a license for it? Seriously?

But you could buy it if you want to support the developer. You could also figure out a few unreleased soundsets you could buy. No emulations or "inspired versions" are ever exactly the same. They are different virtual synths. As an example, I have the Roland Cloud 303,808,909 etc.
    How many other 303/acid synths do you think I may have installed? I would guess no less than 4 without checking. And it's the same for the 808,909, and so on. You will not end up making the same thing using any of them, unless you do it on purpose.

13. Margaret

Margaret Platinum Record

I not mean only R2R. There are many other teams Cubeadooby, Bubbix, Sneakz, Moria and so on.
    Too much to named them but i mean all the cracking teams, not only R2R.
    And yeah not license but installer, people don't wanna supply the new installer. They feel that Szabo was harmed by the last leak.
    Older version was leaked with serial, and licensing system stays the same if I remember correctly.
    So it can be done now without new license. Only new installer needed. But people don't wanna supply new installer.
    Change my mind and send me raw new installer and I care the rest.

14. GeoffreyMcJefferson

GeoffreyMcJefferson Kapellmeister

If you want the Virus sound and nothing more, Osirus and Ostirus are all you need. If you want a slightly less accurate sound with an expanded feature set and much lower CPU requirement, get Viper.

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

There is no Mac version. But a license comes with an installer. Have you ever seen "Protection: Secret URL"?

16. Margaret

Margaret Platinum Record

So then just new version of vst "Viper.dll" file

17. clone

clone Audiosexual

The file extension does not change the flaws in your logic.

18. Margaret

Margaret Platinum Record

What? Raw vst file can be shared without license, when you load it in your daw then ask about name and key.
    Installer can be extra protected and ask about email or something so you can't extract vst file from it without extra steps.
    I didn't saw this installer so I don't know.
    But raw .dll file after install for sure can be shared without any problem.

19. virusg

virusg Rock Star

in short; YES! ...he did a great job and is really a great dev, i believe its worth it and people should support it if they can, personally I have still my TI2 ...I simply love it, its the synth of the modern era, and maybe one of the best ...

20. Margaret

Margaret Platinum Record

I'm using Reason, not Logic.

21. Bassifondi

Bassifondi Member

I use it, it's light on the cpu and if it sounds great I keep it, if not I change it. It's a great option to have.