Is 1600x900 resolution good enough for EDM production?

Discussion in 'PC' started by waverider, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Totally Agree, that why a Hardware controller can be very useful. Best Hardware / Software combination I ever used was the Roland MV8000

2. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

So basically you're asking what screen resolution you need for EDM production when in fact you want to know what screen resolution you need for using your own DAW and plugins??
    First, this has nothing to do with EDM production and second, only you can answer the question for yourself because you're the only one who has the full list of plugins and instruments with all their different screen resolutions.

No reason for responding in an offensive way.

3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

There's not much I can add, I'd go for two screens if your graphics card can handle it. I'd say that the problem is 1080p is the de-facto standard minimum, most software companies assume that when it comes to complex GUIs as is with DAWs and plugins.

Amen to all that above.

I'm the first making fun and jokes, the people who know me can say it, but this is a totally legit question.
    Asking for more details, in this case DAW and plugins used, that's right, it may be important.

But yeah, seeing a lot of only-read-the-title offensive answers I get that the OP may be upset and reply in the same way.

4. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Unless you have a 1080ti or equivalent 4k gaming performance would be poor. If it's casual/occasional gaming then most monitors are fine. Remember, these reviews are done by guys who are using top end monitors and need every possible competitive edge in online FPS gaming.

Any 1080p monitor over your 24" 720p would be night and day difference. Just pick a decent brand that fits with your resolution/cost and take the reviews with a pinch of salt.

(Maybe edit the thread title...)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. waverider

waverider Rock Star

Hello, thank you for the feedback. Alright, I gather that it might be doable to have a somewhat hassle free work flow in 1600x900, but it seems like 1080p is either now, or is about to become, the standard for software and plugin developers. So I think I'm gonna make the investment to buy a screen that allows me to use a 1080p resolution. I might even try to go for 1440p but I'd have to look into the scaling issues first. Windows 7 scaling doesn't seem to work as well as the scaling in Windows 8 and 10. I might be able to tolerate non scalable GUIs when it's only a small subset of the software I'll be dealing with, but if it's too much, I might have to stick to 1080p for a while. (I don't understand why Kontakt doesn't have a scalable UI in the times of 4K screens, what are they thinking?).

I tried the hidpi theme for Reaper, and it is a nice idea, but it won't scale everything (the upper bar, for example, remains the same size as in other windows applications). Also the

"Muscle memory wins over a scattered visual recognition through practice and repetition. This technique is an art-form unto itself."

That's a nice statement. Come to think of it, I am barely using shortcuts yet. So perhaps you're right, if I started learning keyboard shortcuts the workflow could be significantly improved even in a low res environment.

Thank you.

6. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

In my opinion are 2 screens less optimal since you eiether have to look to teh right or left or you stare at the bezels in teh middle.
    That results in a degraded listenihg experidcne since you head is not perfectly aligned to the speakers . Besides that looking all teh time to teh left or right might fuck up you neck, at least that was my expericne with two screen.

I would rather get one BIG screen eiither 5k (to be able to run it in HIDPI mode), a 21:9 Screen or 3 Screens

... .. .

Anyone compared a 5K screen vs a 21:9 screen, how does teh font crispness compare ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

I would go with 1440p, if theres a problem with certain setup you change the resolution. this is the kind of thing where one ends up chasing ones own tail very often. i have 1440 from 1080 and at the end of the day it was not the REVOLUTION I thought both work perfectly fine. and just to name it, 4k seems like total overkill unless you use huge very close monitors for the people who dont get sick of having that amount of light pointed towards your face all day...

ps: but thats only for edm, with jungle I would have 3 with different scalings, to the beat!
    lol. i kliiiiiiiiiid ;)

8. zpaces

zpaces Producer

Nope, on that resolution you can only produce rock music. :unsure: