[iPhone] Best Drummachine + Bassline App for 5s

Discussion in 'Mobile' started by cheeseman909, Jul 28, 2015.

1. cheeseman909

cheeseman909 Ultrasonic

Hi,

there are sooo many iOS Apps available in the shop.
    I have an iPhone 5s and want to make some beats and basslines
    on my iPhone additionally. I know, to make prof. music I have to
    use a DAW like Logic, Cubase or Ableton. But sometimes its nice
    to make some fast beats without a computer!
    I like figure from propellerhead. But you can't create own beats and
    basslines. No mixing and effects, no importing samples.
    I found Beatmaker 2 and DM1. Are these both recommended? Or are
    some other maybe better apps for creating musical ideas fast on iPhone ?

Cheers.

3. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I highly recommend Caustic. It's feature-rich and you can get musical ideas down quickly and easily. Try it out, it might just be exactly what you're looking for: http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/caustic

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

I'm with Cat. I tried a lot of seqs, but Caustic seems the best compromise between power AND fun.
    And it is cross platform :wink:

5. cheeseman909

cheeseman909 Ultrasonic

Ah, yes. I installed the free version of Caustic 3.1.0 on my PC. It's nice and simple. But on the first look too simple.
    I can't nudge every/some hits in the drummachine. The subtractive synth sounds poor.
    What about Beat Maker 2 ?
    Found this video by recommended producer Denny J Lewis: Beat Maker 2 Video
    Look fine and not too simple.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Best Answer
    What "DAW" to use on iOS is just as an individual choice as is on your desktop or laptop.

I'd say I know all relevant iOS apps in this area and there's quite a choice like you said.
    First off, bein on iPhone not iPad, your fun is going to be bery limited anyway because setting notes on such a tiny screen is more like a matter of hit-and-miss.

First two high-end DAWs:
    BeatMaker 2 is not the latest but still a fantastically powerful app. If you take the time to learn using it (and you will need some time, promised ;-), you'll have an app than will even sync with your desktop DAW if you use AudioMux and MidiMux, it handles loops well, you can edit sounds in-app, you can build your own multi-velocity-layer sample instruments (no other iOS app can do this), and it comes with a choice of sounds good enough to have a grat start.
    Caustic is another great app, can do a lot more than BM2 in the synth department but BM2 is better in the loops and samples department.
    Caustic is pattern-oriented (remember The Orion DAW?) while BM2 is more like a conventional, linear DAW, although using loops on pads, you can jam along live and in sync with other gear or apps as well.

Some completely different and more intuitive concepts and great for composition on-the-go nonetheless (only a few highlights here):
    - triqtraq: A very unique approach to composition, supports sample import, great, watch the videos...
    - Xynthesizr: Probably the best alternative to the iPad-only Auxy app for sequencing chords, works in-sync with other apps, no samples but an internal synth
    - LP-5: Loops and Breakbeats only, does sync and time stretching, with an interface that reminds Ableton
    - energyXT: Formerly a desktop app, now on iOS too, quite powerful and simple to use, supports samples.
    These four are ihmo all better replacements for figure without getting too complex, although without doubt, triqtraq is the deepest of them. I like it a lot.

DM1 is a great app for drums, but well, drums and single-hit samples only.

I'm hesitating to recommend NanoStudio. It is very nice to use but just too limited in many ways: No sync, only barebones and too limited sample support, no Midi Out etc.
    You certainly heard of Cubasis too, but the sounds are imho its biggest weakness and decide for yourself if it's worth the high price.
    Xewton Music Studio is another option to consider, its sounds are not the best but it supports user samples and hits a sweet spot between features and usability. And it has chord buttons (i.e. Chord Memory), especially useful on an iPhone!

Last but really not least, GarageBand!
    Runs on iPhone, gives you a good and usable collection of sounds and again, is both powerful and easy to use.

Plenty of options...

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  7. cheeseman909

cheeseman909 Ultrasonic

Nice overview fiction.
    I think Beat Maker 2 or triqtraq will be the winner for me.
    cheers :)

8. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Thanks.
    Both are great options if you're patient enough to learn using them :wink: