iPad Pro Question

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tommyzai, Aug 26, 2016.

1. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

The new iPad Pro seems to be a big upgrade. I've been trying to figure out what to get as a replacement for my dying 2011 MacBook Pro (thread posted). My questions in this post are this . . .

1. Can an iPad Pro now work as a fully functional music production system without a zillion adapters and workarounds?
    2. Can I use 3rd party AU plugins with an iPad Pro?

I already figured out that I'd need to get a different interface, but that's doable.

Any advice is appreciated.

3. LV4-26

LV4-26 Guest

iPad its not make for music production lol :unsure:

4. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

iOS is still too young to make a rig capable of doing what one can do on macOS. You can get a macbook air for the same money and run LPX on it :)

5. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

No.
    It may have many of the same features as a DAW but these are all contained within a fragmented ecosystem of apps.
    Routing these to and through each other is possible and undeniably exciting but unless you're aiming for more simple compositions or are prepared to spend hours/days fine-tuning things which could be done in a fraction of the time on an actual workstation it's not anywhere near as efficient. For my kind of music, anyways.

Yes but iOS Audio Units are completely separate from OSX Audio Units. An OSX AU needs to be developed specifically for iOS. You can't just throw whatever Audio Units you've downloaded for your Mac, onto an iPad and have it work.

The iPad does make one hell of an effects module.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  6. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

7. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record

8. LV4-26

LV4-26 Guest

I used only my iPAD to manipulate Orb with Omnisphere 2. That's All Folks

9. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

You should check out the Twisted Tools Lemur templates.
    Ultraloop, S-Layer, MP16-E/D, squ4r-3 and The Ring are some of my favorites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upload_2016-8-26_18-10-46.jpeg upload_2016-8-26_18-11-8.jpeg

[​IMG]

There are lots more and whilst being made mostly for Reaktor ensembles, they work with basically anything through MIDI or OSC.