iOS Guitar Amp with Bluetooth Headphone Output - Possible?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mercurysoto, Jan 9, 2017.

1. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I have just bought a pair of in-ear bluetooth headphones and I was wondering if anyone of you knows of any iOS app that allows your plugging in your guitar or bass and output the signal via Bluetooth to your headphones.

I know there's going to be latency and maybe sound quality is not going to be good, but hey, it's 2017 maybe someone has figured it out. Any ideas?

Thank you

3. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

I own the original iRig, and plugging it through the headphone jack immediately kills the BT headset use. Maybe the HD version, which interfaces via the lightning port might improve on that. BTW, I bought the Philips SHB5800 Bluetooth in-ear phones, which are lightweight, more-than-decent sounding, and provide good isolation. Besides, the battery lasts long and charges rather fast. I figure that if I get it to work, that's a poor man's stage monitoring system.

I have the GK bass amp app and when I plug a bass, the signal reads in, but no sound comes out of the headsets. I suspect that is due to the use of the input/headphone port.

BTW, if anyone here uses iRig HD, I'd like to now if it accepts Bluetooth output. Maybe should I stretch for an apogee guitar interface for iOS?

I'll download the apps you suggest. Let's see if I can get them to work.

4. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

You're right. This won't work on a stock iOS device.
    I removed my original post because now it just seems misleading as I can't even get it to work on a jailbroken device. There used to be a Cydia tweak that allowed for simultaneous audio outs and I can't even find it anymore. There were SBSettings toggles that let you enable your headset/speakers/bluetooth simultaneously. I also remember having to use BTMono and switching the iDevice's audio to MONO in the Accessibility settings. It was buggy but it worked until you got a call and you had keep the iOS system sounds disabled.

Like I said though, the latency was petty bad and I just did it to see if it could be done. It's not a setup that I would have recommend use for extended periods of time. I also remember thinking that this would work better using a bluetooth adapter plugged into the iRig but honestly never followed through with that.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  5. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

Thank you, buddy. You've put me in the right track. I'll try a Bluetooth adapter to the output of iRig. Great idea. I'll report how it works. I have a Logitech Bluetooth adapter. Thank you again.

6. type2002n

type2002n Kapellmeister

My good men, technology will ruin it...
    We got iRig, btooth headphones, all we still need is some finger sensors instead of guitars, and we'll look like security agents with an itch.
    How about a contest like "Team AiR guitar"...?

7. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

Everybody focuses on "air guitar." How about some "air bass?" I'm sure the renewed Team AiR won't left us bassists in the dark. :wink: