Intriguing questions about my vocal mixing

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by styffer, Aug 8, 2020.

1. styffer

styffer Newbie

Hey, here is a little briefing; I'm 18 years old, I live in Brazil, I've been producing for 2 years, in music 5, I started to produce trap music 4 months ago, and started to record vocals and mix them in june, but I have a lot of doubts and questions about it.
    I don't have a lot of money to invest atm, and equipment is pretty expensive here, so I use what I have:
    mic: B1 Behringer, audio interface: UM2 Behringer, headphones: Logitech G430
    My first question is, how precise are studio headphones compared to my current headphones (probably a lot)
    I have a brazillian trap band, I produce their songs, we have a small home studio with acoustic foams, and I would like to know if you guys could help me with advices to improve my mixing when it comes to vocals.
    Here is a piece of our song I am producing, the song preview quality is pretty bad, I believe it is because of zippyshare

I'm using nectar 3 on vocals, for the first guy in the chorus, he put proportional eqs with; -2db in 170hz, 499hz, 1720hz and 4313hz (same eq here for the second guy that sings the verses), a de-esser, another eq with a high pass at 60hz, lowering 1db at the frequencies around 130 and 540hz, and then boosting 1700 in 1db and 5k in 2.5db that goes 0db at 18000hz, it uses 1 compressor here; ratio: 4.04 : 1, attack 2.2ms, release 150ms, makeup at 0 and threshold at 21.4, i put some reverb in the mid range and some small 1/2 stereo delay, and I just noticed I'm using auto level mode at -8db.
    For the second guy, some x-noise stereo to treat the noise, same subtractive eq, de-esser, eq2 is decreasing 1db from 130hz to -1db and increasing 2db at 1.7k to 5k, and 4db at 16000hz, one compressor here too, ratio: 10.00 : 1, attack: 0.3ms, release 300.0ms, makeup at 0 and threshold at -25.7db, reverb in the mid range too and auto level mode in -8db too.
    This is what we would like to achieve:

I was thinking about getting Shure SM57, the price is in my budget, is it a lot better than Behringer B1?
    Thanks!

3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

The 57 is a Dynamic mic.
    Your B1 is a Condenser mic, so it will have a flatter response.
    Condenser mics for vocals any day!

4. WarpenN1

WarpenN1 Member

I can get really good sounding vocals with my dynamic sm7b mic better and warmer than my oktavamod condenser mic but then I have ufxII audio interface which have good preamps, dynamic mics needs enough of clean gain to sound best.

5. styffer

styffer Newbie

Yeah, I agree, I don't think that change would be a problem, since I'm right now using a low-mid quality mic, but the thing here is the price, ofc I would buy a good condenser mic if I could (neumann and stuff), but the SM57 is the best deal since it sounds better than B1, the SM7b that you use, here for example, is third the price, and the good mics are far beyond the price of a SM57.
    Now, about the audio interface, I really don't know, the focusrite ones to use as an example are expensive as hell here, like everything.