Interface upgrade

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Claus, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

If you have xlr and no other outboard stuff then your monitors, this is the way to go: https://www.oktoresearch.com/dac8pro.htm

if you have 1k more to spend than this is: https://hifi-suite.de/produkt/matri...9038pro-32bit-768khz-dsd1024-mit-mqa-decoder/

Measurements:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...bre-pro-mqa-best-audio-dac-in-the-world.8729/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-measurements-of-okto-dac8-8ch-dac-amp.7064/

These are of course "only" measurements. Nothing was stated about the sound in a specific environment. :excl:

However, I believe those specific parameters are negligible in the most cases anyway.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  2. Hupsakee

Hupsakee Member

RME is always good, i have a RME Fireface UCX for routing etc, and the drivers and stability are Top Notch. Soundwise the RME are just ok. I dont use it for monitoring as it cant handle true dynamics tha well and sounds bit digital and thin and even bit hyped at the highs. I use The Sennheiser HDV820 as Pre-Amp and DAC for Monitoring (Genelec Full Range in my Treated Room and HD800's Headphone) which is extremely flat, full body and Dynamics and pure Analog and is way way better than RME Fireface. If you would do Mastering your DAC and Pre-Amp most be Top Notch to hear the source as it is.

3. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I wonder why I hear and read everywhere that you need best converters for mastering because you need to hear the source as it is.Of course you need the best results in mastering,but you always need to hear all the nuances,even for tracking,producing and mixing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Jeffriezal

Jeffriezal Producer

Because converter not just meant for what you can hear only, the implementation and the capability of the tech also matter to ensure a good signal when chain with the outboard. In and out.

Of coz when it comes to music creation, the ear does matter but only limited to the listener taste and hearing ability.
    We're also an engineer, the engineering part should be accounted for in our duty in production to assist our human flaw and imperfection.

That's why the titled we carry called Mixing Engineer and Mastering Engineer.
    We learning to develop a good taste in music, by building a trust relationship with our equipment.

Art, science and knowledge, minus ego. It's beautiful.

5. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Look, based on the way you've worded your OP, you're not running a business and do not need a rack full of external ADDA conversion and clocking, blah, blah. You wanna upgrade from a M-AUDIO 2x2M (for god's sake lol) to make some tracks with, and do some in-studio-mastering (that all the kids are into these days), and play some VST instruments with very low latency - i get it. I've been there beginning in mid-late 90's.

My advice - buy an RME. A Babyface PRO is an excellent choice. Driver support and stability are key. Wanna upgrade later? Cool.....sell it and upgrade, or expand with ADDA using ADAT optical later.

I still own an RME FIREFACE 800 from 2006, and RME is still coding drivers for it, even though it's discontinued! Support and stability is most important imo, not how many effects are built into my soundcard.

RME, buddy :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List