Interesting Stuff in Drum Computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by justsomerandomdude, Jul 15, 2022.

1. justsomerandomdude

justsomerandomdude Platinum Record

Interesting Stuff in drum computer, the mapping part esp. when u route those to another instrument like Atlas. When the number buttons are moved along it can trigger different sample (which is actually for pitch and roll), its a way of remapping to different notes really interesting. Are there any other plugins that are capable of this, i mean remapping on the fly. Its kinda limited to 7 or 8 notes and whole instrument with samples is unnecessary for the purpose.
    I am talking about this
    Sugar-Bytes-DrumComputer.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

drum computer is a gem, never saw anyone talking about it, which is good, lets keep it a secret haha

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. justsomerandomdude

have you tried it?

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

I do this kind of thing with most of my Drum Machine style plugins. EzDrummer, Ad2, Sd3, Falcon, Battery, etc. Starting with your drum pattern as MIDI channel and data.

But I do it by putting the Logic Midi Transposer FX plugin in front of it, because it slides left to right like a crossfader and it's impact is realtime. Every +/- moves the "seated drummer" playing position one drum to the left or right; and completely changes your patterns' playback because every drum hit becomes different. In realtime, like fills and so on...

And of course, you can automate it's position without having to alter your kit at all. Because it is altering the midi data before it hits the drum machine plugin, there is no latency or pitching around since it is not audio.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

It's on pretty much every "best drum synthesizer plug-ins/vst" list there are, so I'm afraid it's a poorly kept secret :unsure:

7. justsomerandomdude

Dude can u name some, might be helpful. and also if u know of anyother tools other than drum synths which can transpose or remap midi on the fly mention that too..

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

The trick I mentioned acts a little differently with Drum Computer because it seems to change the pitch of each hit on certain preset kits anyway. Using a sliding transposer changes which Midi Note message hits the plugin, like "remapping". I started originally doing that trick because when you download MIDI Drum files; they are usually all over the place in Key/Octave; so using the transposer fixes it without altering the data. With it in realtime, it's like having 2 separate drum tracks running sync'd; like it would be with 2 turntables or cdjs. Any cut move slams it to a different hit.

I'd say it's a fair trick in trade for the info about a plugin I forgot I had installed at some point. Ty, ty r2r lol :) This is very nice. I think I gave up on SB plugins after Aparillo or so on.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  9. justsomerandomdude

Exactly my point, its so much fun when u put drum computer in one track turn down the fader completely, route it to another channel with atlas or xo and u can use the buttons used to control pitch to trigger different samples GM kick and snare aside the percussion part is real fun thou.

10. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

I disagree, no it's not (some top search results on google: Best Drum VST Plugins: The Ultimate Guide (2022) (pianodreamers.com) The 12 Best Drum Machine VST Plugins of 2022 (Free and Paid Options) - Musician Wave)
    You can also search from Drum Computer here, on Youtube or whatever, you won't find many results.

Of course.

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think a lot of the best plugins/tricks and so on, often go quietly past without much mention because they have become "old hat". But that doesn't mean anyone stops using them. We just don't need another thread about Soothe, etc. so they go less discussed. :)

12. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yes, it's interesting.
    Is it possible to have one sample killing the other, like closed hihat kills open hihat?
    I've been searching for something "simple" for a project I'm on, but many don't have this function.

About the search result, you find it immediately if you write the name in one word "drumcomputer" .

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

It's implemented, it seems like you can setup 2 choke groups.

Choke Groups

Define a choke group (also known as mute group) in oder to make a trigger on one engine choke the sound on another engine. Choke Groups is usually used for open/closed hihat choking, but its also interesting with synth sounds.

It's "Remix" slider, is basically the transposer trick I described, but it works within the plugin's kit internally. Which means it chops the sequence per hit, as opposed to the entire data being shifted; or cutoff if not there. You can link it to mod wheel also. The synth can have CC linked with controller, per kitpeice; but it will allow you to overlap them to multiple parts. (good/bad)
    This plugin is rather nice. The pattern sequencer is more than sufficient, and you can drag out midi to other plugins no problem. Color me impressed.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

I like Drumcomputer, but mictoTonic is my favourite, they can work quite well together as they have very different flavours. Drumcomputers bottom end is mince, but it excels in more modern WT/resynthesis sounds, also the random fill, and the innovative sequencer are really interesting and useful features. microTonic is I guess a bit more traditional in its synthesis methods, but what a sound it is...!
    I have both in my default arrangement, as well as a copy of Atlas.
    Cheers for the tip randondude will go and try that.

15. justsomerandomdude

In a way it might be possible if the CH interferes or alters the envelope of the OH temporarily even if that is achieved it may not sound natural, because u know it a sample, most of the glorified samplers like EZD, SD, SSD, AD all have a separate sample for muted hh, just like pedal hh.
    When there is or if there is a modeled Drums this is easily possible but it also might require an additional note for articulation.
    Sometimes when i think of these makes me happy to know that how much we have evolved. A single person with a computer and knowledge and good spirit can achieve any thing.. I mean in music.. not internet slaking.:wink:

16. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Thank you for the explanation.

17. justsomerandomdude

I missed ur post dude, But:like:

18. justsomerandomdude

I use Reaper.

19. Benno de Bruin

Benno de Bruin Kapellmeister

Sitala might be just what you're looking for. Very simple sampler with basic functions. https://decomposer.de/sitala/

20. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Thank you both for your help. Yes, I already use Sitala. :wink:
    But I didn't wanted to take this thread out of Drumcomputer. Let's get back to it.