Interesting channels for bass lessons

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Olymoon, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Here we can share the channels or specific videos about bass lessons.

This one is one of the best to learn how to think your bass lines:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/JoeHubbardBass

This is a video were he shares something he taught to Pino Palladino:

3. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Great stuff.

I have never been huge on the "mega-marketing" places, but Scott's bass lessons if people just subscribe to his channel; every so often he puts some really usable and sensible tips on there. He comes across as a pretty nice guy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

If anyone knows any good slap bass tuts..
    beginner slap bass that is

please reference

5. Adam Ford

Adam Ford Producer

The talkingbass slap bass course it's very well developed and it comes at a good price.

6. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

8. BooBam

BooBam Ultrasonic

WOW, Great thread! Thank you Olymoon! :like:

9. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Scott's bass lessons tend to give out a pile of useful bass stuff free in video tutorials. If you can handle the "join my site" stuff, you can get most of what you want probably.
    Ultimately we do get what we pay for so you cannot beat actual tuition but these still give out about 75% of what you would pay for anyway. Join his channel and it is a good chance you might find what you want :)

Also - Go onto Audioz site and in the search header, put Slap Bass and search. A pile of slap bass books / audio books come up
    Cheers

10. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Ok there is something a lot of players do not tell anyone learning slap.
    I have been slapping since the 80's and you need to do one of a few things which is to develop a calice at the side of your thumb joint or do as some people have and put gaffer around it. Yes some wear gloves.
    This is a stamina no pain thing that happens after time. If you do it a lot it will develop and if too much initially it will hurt and possibly blister.

The reverse thumbing that they call slap isn't really slap it is more of a plucking thing which has been relegated into the slap category because in the 80's the technique prior to the double-triple-quadruple thumbing was called "Slap & Pluck".

Start by playing a bassline all with your fingers and then get all of the notes to sound by slapping with the side of your thumb joint. It might take a little while to get them all sounding without a thok sound that has no note but this technique once you have it will never leave you.
    Cheers

11. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I agree on this. I've learn several things from him.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  12. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

As Adam Ford said, talking bass has a very good course to learn slap bass, this is the 1rst lesson link:

13. robotboy

robotboy Producer

The only video tutorial that I ever used was this one when I was learning the upright:

The most important thing that I took away from this video is that the right hand is more important than the left hand within the context of the rhythm section. I feel that this notion applies to all styles of bass, not just Rockabilly.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  14. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Both can be rhythm hands as you obviously found out since you started with this video, but yes it is of the two hands, the more important default for playing rhythms :)

15. JM6996

JM6996 Rock Star