Intel Kaby Lake & AMD Zen... (OMG)

Discussion in 'PC' started by thantrax, Sep 5, 2016.

1. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Intel Kaby Lake & AMD Zen processors to only support Windows 10 and Unix

[​IMG]

News hits the web on multiple websites today that it seems likely that both AMD ZEN and Intel's Kaby lake processors are to only support Windows 10 and Unix compatible operating systems. That would be bad news for the guys still on Windows 7 looking forward to an upgrade.

The news hits the web today through PC Gamer. Microsoft already announced this news earlier this year, but we didn't know about ZEN on this one. It makes sense though but yes, Microsoft is planning to only support the new processors on Windows 10 (so this is not an AMD or Intel thing). Basically Microsoft will not support the new processors on older operating systems. While I do believe the standard instruction sets should be supported, the niche multi-media functions etc thus should not be. So it remains to be seen how compatible these processors are going to be.

"Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel's upcoming 'Kaby Lake' silicon, Qualcomm's upcoming '8996' silicon, and AMD's upcoming 'Bristol Ridge' silicon," Microsoft stated in a blog post earlier this year.

"As new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support,” a Microsoft spokeswoman stated. "This enables us to focus on deep integration between Windows and the silicon, while maintaining maximum reliability and compatibility with previous generations of platform and silicon."

So, what happens if you install a Kaby Lake processor in a desktop PC running Windows 7? Good question—nobody knows outside of Microsoft and Intel, and until the CPUs are out in the wild, no one will have the opportunity to try it out. One unnamed source told PCWorld that without support and security updates, his guess is that the experience would be "a bit glitchy." Another surmised that certain apps trying to use features built into the chips could crash. Even if you can get the OS installed, it would likely be a sub-optimal experience at best.

There's not a whole lot Intel and AMD are saying about this. Both chipmakers provided canned responses when asked for thoughts on the subject, with Intel confirming it has no plans on updating Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 drivers for Kaby Lake "per Microsoft's support policy change."

Obviously everything not Microsoft will support the processors like *nix distributions such as ChromeOS, SteamOS, and OS X.

Source

Guru3D.com

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Fuck Microsoft,we need a new independent OS for music production.
    Im tired of this NWO shit,one OS,one search engine,fuck that.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

isn't linux independent?

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Come on,we need an OS only for music production,linux needs too much tweaking and is unreliable for many programs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. DrumcodeX

DrumcodeX Platinum Record

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

nope it doesnt, take ubuntu for example. well the problem is that you only have the freeware DAW and bitwig, both hardly support all the plugins you have on windows.

8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

People always suggest Linux,yet when you ask them what they use for music production they say Windows :)

9. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

A question: if both cpus support only Win10 and Unix, what about Apple?

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

haha yeah i know. well it does has some nice free DAWs like andour, rosengarden, bitwig now and some others, but still it makes no sense, also using wine to for example run Ableton doesnt work so smooth as expected. when it comes down to lazy setup an audio system - windows and OSX are still the way to go.
    i would also like some dedicated production OS, but so far nobody made one.

OSX is UNiX based ;) so its supported. so far i know Linux is also unix based so it should run too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

nobody will ever do an OS completely new for music production, there will be no competibility with any program :)

12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Would you buy it if there was an OS targeted for only audio production without all the clutter and shit,optimized for music production?

13. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

Do we really need a visibly new, slightly upgraded processor every year? This year is Kaby, next year Icelake, then Tiger, and on and on and on. I think Intel is too much for anybody to follow, not just AMD, but even their own customers. I wanted to build Kaby Lake, and next year, say, I could sell Kaby chip and get Cannon for the same 1151 socket, but Cannonlake was ditched for Icelake and Icelake will have a new socket. Game over. So I will have to sell the old PC and build a new one in just one year period. Do I want it? Fuck no. It gets tiresome and annoying. I don't want to be bothered with constant changes of my working machines. And performance-wise it's not much of a boost. Fuck that. Intel either should slow down a bit or get a new strategy. But they won't. They keep you in this race all the time, not just Intel, but other developers too, they want you to buy their new shit all the time. Since I'm not a gamer and new games' sysreqs don't bother me, I think I'll stay on DDR3 for this time and upgrade my existing perfectly working PC with more RAM and HD. Idea of being a race dog in this never-ending race doesn't fascinate me. I will wait until Intel comes up with something that breaks through the clutter. Also Kaby Lake won't support Windows 7, just what the fuck man, fuck you Microsoft, I won't be using Win10. And fuck you Intel for sucking Bill's balls.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

another atempt from Micro$oft to force people to run their Win 10 Malware Program.
    working with CPU producers is an old story (esp for IDENTIFYING people via CPU)
    They must be desperate... lol
    From 4 different PCs + 1 Laptop i use, NOT 1 of them run on WIN 10/8....
    I hope u gonna get what u deserve M$!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. panther5

panther5 Kapellmeister

I'm on Win 7. I was planning on upgrading to a Zen processor when they come out, but now I'm confused. Does it matter if your on Win 10 if you never have your music production machine connected on-line? From what I'm reading it's the constant automatic updates that create the problems.

16. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

it is a partnership to wash each others balls like everything else on the market today \m/ all bout the Fuckin Dollar sign ;)

17. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

There's a huge difference between official support and compatibility, pretty much what WinXP is about these days. It's no doubt Kaby and Zen will work on WinXP, 7, 8, 8.1 but they won't receive any official support, that usually means no iGFX drivers, chipset drivers, etc.

On the other hand I'd be furious as a Windows 8.1 owner, for a company basically discontinued base support (hardware too) before 2018. That's a direct violation of EULA.

That's a Strike Two!

There are also supposed to be "update blobs" once every month starting Oct-2016 instead of individual KBs. That's odd, because that's also EULA violation in regard to extended support for Windows 7.
    Either M$ is dying or they don't give a spit. Either way they lost it.

Good thing I'm stacked up with WinXP/Win7 machines for many years to come. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  18. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

of course yes, I'll buy it. it would be the first OS I buy. but, facts are that now there isn't such an OS, and my cosmic pessimism says it will never be.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Well that means there is a space on the market for this product :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  20. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

@Von_Steyr sure there's space on the market for that. However unless it's freeware or pay what you want chances are it would include some kind of unified copy protection system so as much as I like the idea I'd probably pass. Your best bet is probably running an enterprise edition of windows.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  21. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Maybe @SAiNT can get the wheels rolling.We need a fucking audio revolution, we can do it:bow:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List