Intel CPUs Turbo feature

Discussion in 'PC' started by Mostwest, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Hi guys, I just ordered a new i7-4970k wich should arrive at my home next week. I was wondering what "turbo" feature really is: is a sort of controlled Overclock? I read that the frequency base of this i7 is 4 GHZ and up to 4.4 GHZ.

Is there a way to keep the i7 at maximum speed? There are really benefits doing this or it's just too much power and energy consuming?? Thanks in advance.

3. ceanganb

ceanganb Ultrasonic

I think it's, at least, unnecessary, since the turbo is very smooth and does not interphere with audio performance at all. My advise is leave it as it is.

4. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

CPU throttling : maximum speed is normal/full speed. Other is cutdown.
    There are options in the BIOS to disable those features. In my computer, i got crackling sound...even on Youtube ;)
    For DAW, you NEED to disable all energy saving. Search in your motherboard manual ;)

Here is an example directly in windows (not BIOS):

5. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Best Answer
    Its meant to speed up programs that don't have multicore support, it pushes the first 2 cores up to 4.4ghz for a small period of time when it deems fit.
    Btw 4790k is a brilliant cpu, I built my new studio pc with one last month and its a beast. I got mine to run at 4.7ghz

A good way to keep your cpu from speeding up and slowing down is to set the power plan to high performance (right click on start menu in windows 8 > power options).
    change advance settings, processor power management > minimum state 100%, maximum state 100%

I didn't need to mess with the BIOS because the 4790k is such a beast that I can't get it to choke in Studio One to see if the bios will even help.

To give you an idea, synth vst heavy tracks in studio one 3 run at 80% in power saver mode (1.25ghz all cores) at 512 buffer.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  6. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Let's say i'm working on a big project will the i7 push at 4.4 all the time??

7. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

yeah, that is what i did for my i3

8. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Good luck mate LOL

9. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

lol. i have this thing stock no water cool no overclock and 4-4.4 makes abosultely no difference in anything i tried. there is a program from asus that runs at startup, i have it all in performance mode tweaked at max fan all the time. the clock speed actually varies from second to second depending on the load or something. i still dont fully understand what determines the clock variability..seems like it actually downclocks to 3999 mhz per core if under really heavy load (maybe to avoid overheating? idk). when it idles it usually sits at something around 4300 mhz.. so the benifit is negligible at best. its basicly a 3999mhz cpu at stock. the turbo isnt very powerfull.

10. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Which daws are you using?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  11. DJSabreblade

DJSabreblade Ultrasonic

*cubase 5
    *Fl 12
    *wavelab
    *soundforge (i rarely use it these days wavelab is better for me)

*idk lol nothing right now cuz im outta ideaz i could download the best software in the world and wouldnt accomplish a thing right now, just not in the right vibe for music production these days, maybe too many other things are interferring with my vibe right now in my life.

i made better music on my athlon-64 3700 to be honest in 2011. maybe my problem is i have too much power now and now everthing is boring :)P

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  12. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

I think freq variations are always a problem. But with a good i7, you will less feel them. I use a small i3 and i know i can feel them if i don't disable everything.
    Of course, on i7 you really need to "hit the wall". And it is not going to happen soon on regular usage ;)

13. Levitate

Levitate Producer

I used an app called Throttlestop to keep my i5 from throttling down.Been awhile but I think you have to disable s2 state in bios,there was something I had to change in the bios.I think it was disabling s2 state if I remember right.I believe the answer can be found if you look up info on Throttlestop though.Honestly I didn't notice too much difference other than it never changes speed.