Intel cpus suffering serious unfixable issue

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tzzsmk, Jan 2, 2018.

1. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

True part of life.

2. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Blorg

Blorg Producer

4. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

"Intel Bug Inside". The new genius catchphrase
    OMG hahaha :lmao:

PS. I fixed it! You just have to patch the Intel CPU kernel with Jbridge v4.2.0 in order to separate the branchcache from the main protest

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  6. Gcher

Gcher Newbie

Good news for Mac owners, High Sierra 10.13.2 fix the issue without a lost of power.
    The tweet of Alex Ionescu,a researcher, with the detail of the fix: Click Here
    An article which talk about the fix (is in Italian) :Click Here

7. Gcher

Gcher Newbie

For Windows 10 users ONLY, they can manually download the patch (KB4056892) for meltdown from here if they didn't want to wait windows update. Click here

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. KidPix

KidPix Producer

9. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

Wondering how much performance loss for Hackintosh Z370 - I7 8700K users which do audio/music production in DAW's, like me.
    Wondering if this is gonna be much DAW software dependent.

10. Voo

Voo Platinum Record

intentionally deleted reply

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  11. Blorg

Blorg Producer

12. Voo

Voo Platinum Record

And its passed down misinformation

I deleted it

13. It's official: AMD is affected as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

Good to hear that Jaymz, I appreciate hearing from honest, genuine AMD CPU user's and not the people that just thrash them. Yeah it is all fair enough to dislike something but critique which is not constructive is practically useless to me and more than likely anyone else that is at all interested.
    I'm not saying that it has been on here where I have seen such but most other places I have seen comments regarding AMD Ryzen related opinions online they've been along the lines of this type of amazingly insightful level of depth and detail:
    "wouldn't touch that crap"
    "utter shit compared to my intel i7 insert model here"
    and so on and so forth, Which is likely going to become an entirely different story quite rapidly unless somehow Intel and those that use their CPUs are not really as fucked as feared...It'll be a true shit show if it unfolds as bad as people getting 30% performance smashed off!!!

I also couldn't agree with and practice the exact same principles mentioned by @Zenarcist, Yourself and I know many others that operate the same way: KEEP THY AUDIO MACHINE OFFLINE, USE A LAPTOP OR OLDER BUILD...ETC> FOR ALL OTHER THINGS INCLUDING DEMOING STUFF.
    To Me it's a golden rule.

Cheers, All the best your way and to all as always :)

Dean

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I've been refraining from posting anything about this really serious issue, because it's a bit hard to explain it to people who just use DAWs to make music. I'm still trying to devise a way to convey it to you... but essentially it is a hardware problem, a CPU problem that both Intel and ARM CPUs are affected with. AMD CPUs are not.

The hard part here that is obvious and rather easy to grasp for me and I'm [really] trying to put it in layman's terms: Intel and ARM CPUs have an instruction prediction algorithm that is trying to predict what instructions are going to be used and that makes their processing faster. The thing is, AMD CPUs do it before speaking to an OS kernel and that's why they're safe. Intel and ARM do it afterwards, so in the mean time there is a possibility for a hacker to inject [omg] a kind of a malware into these instructions and get info, or blast your OS to bits.

The solution is to redesign the CPU. The only true solution. But since that's really hard, it won't happen and a lot of people have Intel and ARM CPUs. So they have to issue a patch that disables the branch prediction process in the CPU or reallocates it before the kernel processes.

I hope I clarified it for some... it's like explaining the works of a valve exhaust in the auxiliary power of a Space Shuttle to a layman, I know. But I tried.

The consequences. The consequences will be: AMD is not affected, so their CPUs will take the lead in performance instantly. Intel is going to have to redesign its CPUs and they have a chance in a couple of years from now to make them more safe. Then all these OS patches will become obsolete, for the new processors that use the instruction branch prediction differently.

I still wonder how many of you will understand this.

Mean time.

In the mean time it is best to just buy an AMD CPU. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Win 10 patch is out, doesn't test for AMD, gets applies to all AMD64/X86 systems.
    No measurable hit for me or http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/windows-vulnerability-cpu-meltdown-patch-benchmarked.html (thanks @KidPix) :)

17. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Oh yes, this reminded me that Windows [10] OS will be patched for all processors for now, even though AMD CPUs are not affected. Hopefully they will whitelist AMD CPUs also, as in Linux OS. AMD processors are not affected because they do instruction branch prediction differently.

I'd also like to mention that XP, W7 and W8 will not be affected if they don't issue a patch for them and they [MS] won't. :) So if your Windows is offline and working just fine with your Intel i7xxxx you should not be worried about any performance degradation at all. :wink:

For many of us it's just "keep calm and carry on". :wink:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. Blorg

Blorg Producer

I don't get it. You gents say your sound boxes are not touching the web anyway, so what difference would it make? This one's connected, but other than my installs folder & password for Audiosex.pro, what should I be worried about?
    As mentioned, there's almost none. Not sure about other versions, but my patch (KB4056890) "can be removed by selecting View installed updates in the Programs and Features Control Panel."
    Much ado about nothing.

19. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

20. synths4grins

synths4grins Producer

Just to clarify a bit, AMD is vulnerable to one variant of the Spectre attack (Variant One - Bounds Check Bypass). This, AMD says, will be corrected by software/OS updates, and they expect the performance impact to be negligible. They claim there is "near zero risk" of Variant Two - Branch Target Injection exploitation. Only Variant Three (Intel's nightmare) is zero vulnerability "due to AMD architecture differences." I wish the OS vendors would be more clear on exactly which variants are being remedied on which CPU platforms.

I'm glad AMD is mostly in the clear, since I'm mostly AMD based. Here's are the two sources (AMD's is pretty clear on their position):
    - AMD https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution
    - Google Project Zero https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/reading-privileged-memory-with-side.html?t=1&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw==&refsrc=email&iid=add1094fa18f4882b00b7946e0846855&uid=702052826495586304&nid=244+272699400