Intel Core i9-10900KF vs Intel Core i9-11900KF

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Yellow Raven, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Yellow Raven

Yellow Raven Platinum Record

hello again,
    I was building a new PC and was advised to use an i9 instead of the Intel Core i7-10700K
    this PC is mainly for Rendering 3D max/Vray etc and Music
    but I found out the 11 series at 537$ is hardly any faster than the 10 series at 595$ and has less cores
    and I was told it's my only choice for pci 4
    any advice
    also can anyone recommend a MB out of these (see pic) preferably in the 200$ range
    https://imgur.com/a/oTiBWLf

I was thinking
    AsRock Z590M Pro4 or Gigabyte Z590 UD AC
    [​IMG]
    thank you in advance

3. Exidus

Exidus Rock Star

I9 11900 has better single core performance, and only slightly lacks in multicore in some applications vs. 10900. Given not all plugins are multicore-optimized (UVI Falcon sticking as a soar thumb in the list), and the pci4 support on 11900 - it's not too much to think about it.

4. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

i9 10900- It will certainly do the job if you have a decent GPU for your graphics, the GPU will be the expensive part of you are serious about rendering/creating graphics.
    Make sure you have good fans, it runs hotter than an i7.

upload_2021-12-14_23-15-8.png

5. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Any reason why you're not considering the i5-12600K?

6. Polomo

Polomo Guest

7. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

From what I've read so far, the 12-series seems to blow the previous versions out of the water. You probably need DDR5 memory to get the most out of them, but they support DDR4 at 3200MHz and over. The i7 12700K seems to be around the price you are talking about, and has 8 performance cores and 4 efficient cores at 3.6GHz base speed and up to 5GHz boost.

8. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

There are some big issues with the 12th series due to its different architecture of cores where applications would just stop working immediately or after a while.
    Intel is working on fixing this.

9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Also, series 11 has a much better internal graphic card UHD750 that works great for audio apps [very low DPC latency]. I wouldn't think twice, but you should really consider a very high quality cooler for it - e.g. Noctua, BeQuiet!, or Scythe. The bigger - the better. More copper pipes - the better [at least 6, but 8 is better]. Not to mention that a great cooler can be cooled perfectly well with only one silent 120 or 140mm fan at 400-800RPM [but I would put it at 400-1200RPM for just in case] and a quality and silent PWM fan. The Gigabyte motherboard comes with a nice fan rpm PWM controller that you can adjust to taste, so I would go with the Gigabyte motherboard. I have bad experiences with Asrock's motherboards so I'm not recommending them to anyone. Just Asus or Gigabyte. MSI ones can be hit or miss.

I would go with i7-11900K, actually. Shelling out for i9 is not worth the money. Look at this review, for example: https://premiumbuilds.com/guides/intel-core-i7-11700k-vs-i9-11900k/

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Yellow Raven

thxs to all of you guys.
    this actually a continuation of an earlier post
    the VGA is a Zotac 3070 12gb
    and the cooler Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 ARGB Liquid Cooler
    so I guess the i7-11900K is good enough ? (I am switching from an old i7-2600K)
    Noctua, BeQuiet!, or Scythe all are unavailable here
    I considered the 12 series but the MB that support it are at least twice the amount of the MB I am considering

thank you all again for the help

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Yes, liquid cooling will absolutely do. :wink: The only problem with them is they need more maintenance than air coolers. The coolant has to be replaced every couple of years, also pumps can be noisy and you still need a fan to cool the cooler, so I don't see a point if you want a silent computer as we into audio usually do... ;)

Oh, it slipped my mind you already have a pretty powerful graphic card, therefore i7-11900KF will be perfect [no internal VGA] if you go with it. Really, i9 is not worth it and you save like almost $200. I don't know what those guys at Intel are thinking, since they both perform almost the same.

iX-12xxx series is too new. Never go with anything too new if you want something reliable, stable, no problems. That's a lesson I learned about 20 years ago. Not to mention that what you already know - it's rather more costly and you gain very little performance wise. :wink:

Cheers!

12. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I would focus on optimizing the machine you want to produce music with for this purpose. As quiet as possible and as much single CPU power as possible. With the same machine and a good GPU you can then also work well with 3ds Max/VRay

Sorry, but rendering with a workstation just makes no sense.
    Because for renderings of large photorealistic images or even movies you would block your workstation for hours or days or even weeks. Better is the use of external renderfarms. There you send your files and after a few hours you get the result and can continue working in the meantime.
    And it's cheaper, too. With a renderfarm you can decide how much CPU/GPU power you need at the moment. The keyword is scalability. If you need your renderings earlier just book anbother 500 CPU cores. You can never do that with only one machine.

https://www.cgdirector.com/best-online-render-farms/

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Yellow Raven

thanks pal for all the help. much appreciated :wink:

14. Yellow Raven

hey thank you for that link. I will look into it. cheers

15. DonaldTwain

DonaldTwain Kapellmeister

Whatever the technical differences are between the two, they are probably miniscule and unnoticeable in a real-world environment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List