Intel Collaboration That Could Benefit Musicians

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by quadcore64, Dec 22, 2019.

1. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Intel has teamed up with two custom computer developers to produce ;
    Element from MAINGEAR Kenilworth, New Jersey
    &

MAG-15 from Eluktronics Inc. Newark, Delaware.

These laptops offer features that MacBook users wish they had without the need for dongles.
    There is also the ability to upgrade components.

If this partnership continues into 2020 with Intel's 10th gen product line & their newly developed GPU,
    we non Mac users could finally have laptops that offer no compromise professional performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. MarkSlater

MarkSlater Producer

Yayyyyy! :disco:

4. Polomo

Polomo Guest

sorry but no

Look at this Beast
    https://bestware.com/de/schenker-dtr-15-audio-edition.html

The Laptops you linked are poor in termes of CPU Power
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-9750H+@+2.60GHz&id=3425
    Intel Core i7-9750H @ 2.60GHz 13605 Points
    in compair with
    Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz 20206 Points

Ok admit the price is twice your linked ones

But this beast is out since end 2018

And if the price matters that much https://geizhals.de/lenovo-ideapad-l340-17irh-gaming-81ll0020ge-a2078844.html?hloc=at&hloc=de
    In compair with you´re linked
    Same CPU same RAM same SSD a slighty less powerfull GPU . By the way which musican needs a powerfull GPU and 500-600 € less

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2019
  5. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

The point is that Intel has decided to get into the computer game in a way that actually makes sense. Especially if development continues into the future with next gen technology coming in 2020.

The current lineup can keep up with or surpass & replace a desktop. All while costing less than a MacBook Pro.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

All laptops of the type you mention thermal throttle, hitting 100 degrees Celcius on the cpu and their fans get so loud under load that it makes them unnacceptable for studio/audio work. I had an Alienware Area 51-M with the 9900k in the studio for enough time to evaluate it and run all sorts of benchmarks and soft. The "laptop" is owned by a buddy of mine, keyboard player and keen gamer, who paid top bucks for it but had a heat dissipation problem so brought it to me to see if i can help. Arguably this machine has the best build quality of any laptop i have ever seen. But still, 100 degrees was typical for the laptop in all kinds of heavy cpu loads, i had to under-voltage the cpu by -0.15v in order to keep it at ~90 Celcius max in stock settings. I say stock settings because this is an overclockable laptop or at least Dell/Alienware want it to be called as such... Still, even after the under voltage you can't call 90 degrees nominal and definitely that is not a machine you want sitting in your lap unless you are browsing the web with it or similar. Funny thing, at games it wouldn't reach such high temps (about 85C max), but this is because the gpu (RTX2080) was handling the bigger loads. So yes it is portable, but machines like that, imho, are aimed towards gamers. Putting an "audio" tag on such a machine is quite ambiguous to say the least.
    It is easy to suggest a spec on paper. Ahh those numbers are better so it must better etc etc. Nope. Better numbers on sheet don't make it actually a viable solution. They only make an impression to the uninitiated.
    Cheers :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Polomo

Polomo Guest

The Best Joke I read in an along while :rofl:

If a laptop can have 6 Drives, CPUs with 280 TDP and up to 256GB RAM with 8 or 16 Bay for it, we can talk about replacing a Desktop

• List
  8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

The replacement aspect comes in the way of performance being expandable. This has always been goal for high end laptops.
    It's not that it cannot be done, just the lack of foresight & willingness to do it. This is why the MacBook Pro has done well. Even with the shortcomings.

If Intel continues the development with these partners, as the title of this thread says,
    Intel collaboration 'Could' benefit musicians.

Think about one of these units with a 10th gen CPU, PCIe 4.0, new Intel graphics. I'm no Intel fanboy, just someone who appreciates technology moving in a direction that benefits musicians & creators. Not just gamers.

9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I think it's high time we audio people would show middle finger to loud overheating laptop designs,
    if IT business wasn't full of greed but some brains instead, we could see 1U/2U rack ultra silent computers with remote touchscreen + mouse/keyboard, THAT would be a no-compromise future
    :chilling:

for reference, just look at new Mac Pro - it can be silent because of those huge ass cooling ribs and 3 big intake fans which don't make shitloud noise

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Polomo

Polomo Guest

taskforce you right in many points you wrote but,Thermal Throttling depends also on a few other things

The delta T of the room you'll work in, heat paste.
    How clean the fans are and some other stuff .

And Alienware is similar like Apple in this case . You'll pay for the name. (they use low-class fans imho)
    The Schenker I go for a while ,CPU temp, keeps ever below 80C°. (I change the heat paste by the way ) And that with a 10 h stess test

11. Polomo

Polomo Guest

And that’s the thing you can't build in a "tiny" laptop

And for me the main reason why a laptop can't beat a Desktop .

Or only with big downsides on some other points

If it has to be mobile take the best you can but, don't expect it to be better than a Desktop (specially for the same Price )

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

sounds reasonable at first thought,
    but then realize proper audio interface is not small either, so isn't a bag of mics, speakers/monitors, keyboard controller or most musical instruments,

so basically you're saying you are fine with full in-the-box audio workstation with tiny screen, just headphones (which unless in-ears, will take more space than laptop again) and without audio interface (being stuck with cheapy headphone jack of generic onboard chip) ?

hunt for tiny workstation is nonsense imo
    :chilling:

13. Polomo

Polomo Guest

I totally agree here too.

Only for let´s call it small purpose/homestudio light (like a total digital workflow) without Mic at all, something like this can be interesting.

(When I'm on vacation and want to work on some background music for something ) this can work .
    But I use for such thing (since a few weeks) my smarphone. With Caustic and FL Studio Mobile.

It's not a workstation at all, but for quick Ideas the perfect solution

And when I'm home I can work with my real tools

14. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Personally i kinda hate laptops hehe. But of course i do understand why they are so popular as for most people they cover their needs and are portable as well.
    For me the only sort of tiny machines i have worked and am comfortable with, are SFF cubes, which are proper desktops but in a much smaller format, some of them even come with a nifty carrying bag like the Shuttle brand. I have a couple of those and i am perfectly fine with them, and when config'd "wisely" they are silent even under full load. The advent of normally priced USB/TB powered portable monitors makes SFF machines even more appealing now as portable solutions for location recording/live performing or even studio work when space is a problem.
    Cheers mates :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List