Instruments for wind midi controllers

Discussion in 'Software' started by FluteBoy, Sep 15, 2014.

1. FluteBoy

FluteBoy Newbie

Hello friends,

I recently managed to save up enough money to buy a wind midi controller (EWI USB) Phew!! I googled around and came across the Samplemodeling instruments (the saxophones sound very nice) and one other manufacturer called the Wallander Instruments. They seem to be more dedicated toward making instruments for wind controllers. Anyone here have used those? Is it available anywhere here? TIA. :thumbsup:

Wallander: http://www.wallanderinstruments.com/?mode=products&lang=en

3. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

The most common instruments are for breathe controllers, some sound good and others...
    In general you can make any CC (continuous controllers) ro make any function, if you think not like a real windplayer the universe is the limit.
    In you intend to mimic a real player go for (samplephonics too):
    Chris Hein Horns 1-4
    Ethno worlds 5
    Broadway Big Band
    Embertone Sensual Saxophone
    To mimic something any good kontakt lib do the job with real mono legato.

For orquestral:
    Cinesamples, Spitfire Project Sam and Berlin Orchestra.

Try Synths too! Start with Spire, and all are in our brother site :wink:

4. DanteUruzu

DanteUruzu Kapellmeister

There are a few Samplemodeling products over there. No Wallander products, though. I've used (and still do) some of the Samplemodeling instruments. I don't have a wind/breath controller yet, so I am unable to really take advantage of them. Still, they're pretty good. They can be quite CPU intensive, but that's to expected since it's pretty much algorithms and stuff.

5. angie

angie Producer

Hello Whatty! I've got an EWI4000s. Strange to say, being a wind instruments player, it's more intriguing for me to play strange synth patches than sax or flute samples. It is so fun to play electric bass patches but you have to be speedy with the tongue! Buy it!

6. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

The great thing with wind controllers is their expressivity. Samplemodeling sound great but there's not too much variation possible, that's why many players in fact prefer playing a synth to playing a sample-based library.
    Yamaha's VL series combine fair quality physical modeling with extensive breath and midi control.
    There are many interesting VSTi too, like the many Reaktor models (Reaktor Silverwood for example), Logic's Sculpture, Madrona Labs Kaivo, AAS Chromaphone (although better for percussive stuff), Nusofting Modelonia, Tassman, HVSynthdesign stuff, and certainly a few more out there.

There was a Japanese-only Yamaha "S-YXG100 PVL" for older Windows versions, but unfortunately I never got it to work even under Win95/98.
    It is said to offer the same technology as the rather expensive VL series hardware!
    Anyone around here who had more luck?

7. FluteBoy

FluteBoy Newbie

Thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions. I will try out some synths with the controller and see :wink:

8. lazertooth

lazertooth Newbie

ill ask my buddy. He's been using the morrison digital trumpet since the ADAT days. => i bet he's got a treasure trove of favorites for the ewi. http://img.engadget.com/common/images/0535421542242743.JPG?0.32425931479816406