Instrumental music vs. vocal music. Which one do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by The Pirate, Mar 25, 2019.

?

Do you prefer vocal or instrumental music?

1. Vocal

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Instrumental

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I personally think that the Nobel Prize misses the boat more often than not in areas other than science. But that is off-topic here. Nevertheless, I want to point out that if Dylan felt as he did , then he should had remained firm and refuse to deliver the lecture required to receive the cash prize that comes with it. I guess typical Dylan being modest Dylan. As he said, “If someone had ever told me that I had the slightest chance of winning the Nobel Prize, I would have to think that I’d have about the same odds as standing on the moon.”

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  2. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

This subject makes me think of The Endless River by Pink Floyd. All instrumental (except last song). I absolutely love that album, but a lot of people were even angry with it and even said it is not "real Pink Floyd". It is one of my favorites.

3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The music and vocals should complement each other, so that the end result is unified, i.e. one can't exist without the other.

4. Evo

Evo Kapellmeister

Well depends from genres to genres! In trance / real progressive house, dream trance (like the old Robert Miles) if you put a vocalist for that you can take down fundamental elements like synths down for make space to the vocal, thats why in this type of music the synth have an arpeggio that make the lead without using a vocal. Look to Blue from eiffel65, they wanted to make the effects of Cher's Believe that was with autotune but back in the day we was not with good knowledge for that and the vocal was sampled to a midi to make the "I'm blue da ba dee da ba da" things following the leads arpeggio to not destroy the track, and blue was innovative, was an eurodance track but with pop elements and a vocal to make this song understandable for everyone. For Rock, Metal the vocal is fundamental, it make the track alive, same as melodic pop stuff. Historically the vocal was the first part of the standard song, it complement with the rest of the track. Is like listening to Coldplay without Chris Martin voice or Metallica without James Hetfield, is not that good.

5. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

First part is 100% correct. Second part not so. Maybe the way it was expressed by you. Both can, and DO exist, without the other. An instrumental like Robert Miles' or an acapella like Bobby McFerrin's "Don't worry be happy" don't need the other.

Edit: Sometimes we even have lyrics that convey a different feeling and emotion as that found in the instrumental it is ought to augment. That is the reason why I was telling @SineWave that I found a vocal song to be more difficult to produce/compose because all 3 ingredients must work together for the song to be effective.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Instrumentals and acapella are designed to exist without the other, but the end result still has to be unified. I guess what I am trying to say is all music should consist of elements which complement each other, so we shouldn't favor one or the other, it's all art :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Skull

Skull Producer

i like both! Why should one be better than the other one?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

there are tele tapi rhymes and there are deep rhymes..and you can flowing on beat without rhyming too ....
    i fully understand where you comin from but youre opinion seems colored by todays shit and a few genre and artists knowledge gaps
    also theres is not only Shakespeare(which had a ghostwriter) lyric , there are a lot more..every society have its own..lyric we both cant understand ...further jeru the damager,prodigy,odb,raekwon,ghostface etc have have a lot of deep stuff
    further look to this

9. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

don't wish, sing!
    thank you for good paper from Alive Magazine, there is written: Some schools followed the pestalozzian principles of music instruction, namely to teach sounds before signs and make children sing before they learn the written notes Principles and theory came after the practice and not before.
    you can learn before voice expression for example....you are the instrument!:yes:

10. flush with your foot

hi Skull, one is not better than the other but, i think, we can identify more easily.

11. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

This thread is not about which one is better. It is about which one do you prefer. This is totally subjective so better is not equal to preferred.

12. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

13. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

14. flush with your foot