Instrument Track Sound Doubling in Ableton

Discussion in 'Live' started by Guygoyle, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Guygoyle

Guygoyle Newbie

Hi, This is probably something simple, but whenever I run outboard gear thru an instrument track in Ableton live (regardless of version) I'm hearing the original signal plus the sound going on with the midi notes creating not only a slight latency issue but a chorusing as well and I just don't understand why.

This has been going on for years and I've been too embarrassed to ask, but I need to swallow my pride at this point.

I have tried local on and off in both software and hardware environments, changed channel and routing options...just about every combination my feeble imagination can conceive without even marginal improvement.

This cannot be the way its done. All I want is the ONE SIGNAl passing thru so that I may apply some basic production effects like compression, eq, limiting etc and as it stands, I cannot do that with any accuracy.

I swear I've done all the googling and tutorials and haven't run into the issue at any point.

So, any help at all would be appreciated immensely-:D

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

No Ableton user here, but:

Apart from your actual problem, if you set your hardware synth to 'local off', no sound should be output. ???

Sadly, you didn't say anything about your interface. I suppose it has something like 'real time monitoring'. Means every incoming signal is immediately routed to the output. Therefore you can hear the signal twice and since the DAW's fx add some latency, even if minor, you hear a delayed or chorused sound.

4. krl8301

krl8301 Newbie

You have to mute the input signal on your audio (software....)I have Clarett so i have to mute the input on focusrite control,running synths in Ableton...

5. krl8301

krl8301 Newbie

What audio interface are you using?

6. Guygoyle

Guygoyle Newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply:) Yep, local off produces no sound, but when I enable record everything reverts to the original issue. Vexing to say the least. It's a good idea to poke around and see if I can find a monitoring option I'm selectively blind to, so thanks for that as well.

I have a Motu Ultralite original model and it's always sounded fine...when I do record everything works out, but just having to record one track at a time seems silly.

7. Guygoyle

Guygoyle Newbie

Hi thanks for replying-oh man, seriously it's that simple? Haha thank you I will give that a try tomorrow (as in today but tonights today being i've been up all night playing;) If it work and I'm guessing it will it'll be an all time derp and duh on my part...years of my life flashes before me.

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Just out of curiosity. This disables real time monitoring but you can still record a hardware synth? So Guygoyle just have to switch on the Mute button here
    [​IMG]

9. recycle

recycle Guest

Zero latency is a myth: any soundcard will produce an amount of delay in the signal. What you hear is direct monitoring summed with daw output, thats why you have that weird "slapback" effect. If your goal is to use outboard gear and vst instruments at the same time, you want to use the delay feature
    [​IMG]

click the D button on the lower right of the Ableton screen to show panel
    [​IMG]
    Dont forget to mute the direct monitoring in the motu mixer app

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2019
  10. krl8301

krl8301 Newbie

Mine looks like this....no problems with signals being doubled:)

Attached Files:

11. krl8301

krl8301 Newbie

This

Attached Files:

12. davea

davea Platinum Record

Did you uncheck the audio compensation in your option tab?

13. Guygoyle

Guygoyle Newbie

Hi everyone-My connection was sliced into by my isp for over a week and just became stable again so apologies for not being able to follow up; I just want to say many THANK YOU's !!! It absolutely works flawlessly now and just became immeasurably more fun:D

For some bizarre reason I cannot explain, the concept of cue-mix app for the MOTU always had me fooled into thinking I was looking at the OUTPUT of my external gear instead of them being INPUTS despite the fact that most of it is labeled as such. So idiotic and yet hilarious...I have serious gaps in my knowledge base and confidence issues when it comes to patching, routing and all the other interesting stuff I've always wanted to try.

So, if you're still around any advice for creative use of 2 motu ultralites, a pro 2, NL4 and an elektron digitakt-analog heat combo? I lost my mind and went into debt for what is basically my 'dream setup' within reason for the terminally poor haha.

Ideally I've been wanting to apply the analog heat as a kind of final mixdown effects unit, but all I can manage is to run it thru one of the other units because it's simple and makes sense to me.

Lastly, anyone an expert on vocoding? I want to find a tutorial for dummies (me) so I can do things like vocode hi hats...best effect ever, love it every time I hear it...etc...okay thanks again.