Installing vintage tuners on a telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Vincent Price, Apr 19, 2024.

1. Vincent Price

Vincent Price Kapellmeister

What do you reckon the Baja neck will fetch price wise, bearing in mind all its hardware has been taken out?

2. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Honestly. Maybe $100-150 if it’s pristine with no dents dings scratches or fret-wear. Just a guess without any research at all

3. Vincent Price

What grit sandpaper did you say to use for the peg holes?

4. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

First off. Tape the face and back of the headstock surrounding the peg holes. Preferably with painters tape - or a light tack masking tape. This will prevent you from scratching up your finish on the face and back of the headstock.

With some double sided tape or Elmers glue, attach the sandpaper around a spare dowel rod or something like a writing pen. Or you could also buy adhesive sandpaper instead of using tape or glue.

I’d use 250 grit & then smooth it out with 350 or 400 sandpaper.

Don’t go very aggressive, check your progress often & make sure to hit the inside of the holes evenly.

5. Vincent Price

Attached Files:

6. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Hell ya brother!!!!!!!!

7. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

dude. yes u can swap your own tuners. and you should. don't be afraid to work on your own instruments. you get alot more out of doing those types of things yourself. especially something as basic as a tuner swap. not to mention it builds a relationship with your guitars that is hard to explain when you can take them apart and alter them and put them back together again. just take your time and watch some videos.

i took my fender tele thinline completely apart and literally took a torch to it 2 days after i bought it and i AM NOT a luthier or guitar tech or anything like that at all. and this was the first time i ever refinished or heavily altered any of my instruments. you can debate whether it looks better before or after i got ahold of it but i love it. and it's mine. since that i also swapped most of the hardware out for gold hardware and replaced the vintage tuners with sperzel locking tuners and it was all a piece of cake and i LOVE this tele. i feel like it has so much mojo in my hands and i swear it vibrates when i pick it up. it's not my most expensive guitar but it its my favorite bc of the relationship i have with it from making it my own thing.

definitely definitely don't PAY someone else to do that. you got it bro. good luck

tele 1.jpg tele 3.jpg tele4.jpg tele5.jpg IMG_0415.jpeg

Last edited: May 25, 2024 at 5:33 AM
  8. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

o, sidenote though. it's worth mentioning that depending on what kind of tuners you're swapping from/to they may not line up exactly as the previous tuners so that they cover the old screw holes and you may have a few small holes exposed on the back of the headstock. if it's fender to fender oem tuners i would think this isn't a thing but i went from the original fender vintage tuners sperzel locking tuners and this was the case. it's not a big deal for me really as it's just a few small holes and they're on the back of the headstock like i said before but that may be a non negotiable for you so figured i'd mention it.

i mean i could easily dab some golden oak stained wood putty in them and they'd all but disappear but meh..

one other thing i forgot to mention is that i did take mine to my local luthier for a basic setup after i reassembled my thinline just bc it was fully taken apart. i usually do my own setups but i felt it needed a pro after a full breakdown. i've done plenty of tuner swaps since on other guitars and didn't need a full setup beyond what i could do myself but you may need one afterward. intonation could be alitlle wonky if the tuner posts aren't in the exact same spot as they were before. but thats the only money i would say you should spend on your project.

IMG_1843 2.jpg