Inside Otis Redding’s Final Masterpiece

Discussion in 'Music' started by The Pirate, Jun 30, 2020.

1. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

In this 2017 Rolling Stones Magazine's article, co-writer Steve Cropper and other collaborators take a new look back at the legendary song, recorded just weeks before the singer’s tragic 1967 death. This article clarifies many myths and misconceptions regarding this influential-classic. It is a fascinating description of how Otis Redding knew he had a hit even before going into the studio to record it, of how Redding forgot what he wanted to sing and whistled instead. It touches on the influence of The Beatles and George Martin on Redding. It describes when and where it was written, and how it was recorded. In sum, a must read for music lovers. What are your thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

The whistling bit is the thing that was of interest to me most about the article. It's many times the mistake that becomes the defining object of a work. The artist hopefully recognizes the gift of the aethers and embraces it wholeheartedly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

To me, it was how confident he really was that he had a hit. It is a special feeling that you get once in a blue moon...if you know what I mean.

5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Yes I do. It was fortunate that he was in position to take advantage of his good fortune, working with some happening people like Steve Kropper who supported his vision and could help him flesh out his vision. What a great iconic song it is though a tragedy and shame that he didn't get to revel in his success and continue to do what he loved to do, namely to sing his heart out and to express his unique creations in music and prose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List