Initial Project Volume

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by ricbm710, Sep 26, 2022.

1. ricbm710

ricbm710 Kapellmeister

This is something I haven't found clearly addressed in tutorials.

When you start adding tracks to your project, what Master volume do you aim for?
    Let's say I add a couple of nice synths and the Master peak volume reaches 0 db, which sounds fine. But then, when adding some drums, the Master starts to clip which makes me reset all tracks again to find a good balance.

How do you deal with these constant volume adjustments in order to have a smooth workflow?
    I have heard about the -6 db headroom but I understand it's essentially for mastering when your final mix is ready.

3. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

i know this is not ideal, but i just turn down all the tracks while in the early stages of the production (or i can just turn down the master), and then make adjustments as i go forward.
    i try to keep the master volume at -3/-6 dB so later on i can do whatever i need.

i've never understood this obsession (IN DIGITAL, i know it's important in analog).
    hopefully some answers here will make me understand more and reconsider my workflow :)

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Just less than 0dB FS so it doesn't clip. The question is, to which level do you set the channels' faders right from the start to avoid clipping? That's a matter of count, sounds and mix. Sadly, there's no rule, a guide line could be ~ -10dB but I often end up with some tracks way lower and some higher (the latter mostly when they're routed into a subgroup/folder).

Nope, it's not, not at all, not with 16 or 24bit, least with 32bit FP. I see no technical, theoretical or practical advantage of -6 over -1, or -10dB.

5. ricbm710

ricbm710 Kapellmeister

That's what I meant. Sorry, I didn't phrase it correctly.

Alrighty. I'm trying to achieve the soundest workflow possible and these little rules of thumb help.