Individual multitracks files are not stems!

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by The Pirate, Nov 26, 2022.

1. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I just received from a major label's A&R department 132 individual tracks from a song instead of the requested stems for mastering it. Stems are not individual multi-tracks. So why did they send me the individual multi-tracks? Because time and again artists, producers, and A&R people confuse both terms. Stems and multi-tracks are not the same thing. Both provide flexibility in their own way, therefore, the terms should not be used interchangeably.
    To be clear, multi-tracks are just that. Single audio files or single tracks in a DAW. Some may be mono, while others are stereo. Multi-track sessions can contain over a hundred tracks.
    On the other hand, stems are submixes of the multiple individual tracks within a mix, such as vocals, keyboards, drums, etc. If played back at unity gain, stems should sound nearly identical to the final mix. Stems sessions generally consist of 4 to 20 tracks.
    Sending stems in place of multi-tracks reduces creative control while sending multi-tracks in place of stems can be overwhelming. What to send? unless otherwise requested, stem files when you’re sending a track to a vocalist, remixer, or mastering engineer. Multi-tracks when you’re sending your track to a collaborator or a mix engineer.To be sure, find out if they're looking for individual tracks or stems.
    As a final note, beware of your DAW audio exporting options. Some of them claiming to export stems are not really doing so.
    For a more in-depth explanation see https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/stems-and-multitracks-whats-the-difference.html

• Like x 4
    • Useful x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Interesting x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

to second this... for years I was exporting out of logic with the normalizing raido button checked. When I unchecked it everything started sounding so much better when I exported full songs, single tracks and everything else

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

it's either a rookie/less experienced person's mistake; or completely not. And they want you to be able to go back to any individual sound you might find problematic later on. The problem is really only if they somehow think they are paying 200 bucks for a "stems mix" or something. Then they are trying to get over on your estimate or rates; however you handle that aspect. Like sending an unflattened project to a printer. Backup reasons, less emails. More work for you. No?

130 is a nice round number which is the supposed max of a 5.1 Cheesegrater in practical terms. Maybe this is influence as well? They just bounced you the whole thing with "Bounce/Track In Place and Replace all Tracks" enabled. Walked away. If you strip silence it makes everything a pain to block move around if you do not set a correct threshold you end up with 1 zillion pieces.

Izotope are also in the business of selling stuff. Maybe your client knows someone sticking 6 channels into Neutron and calling it a day may sound great. But for some big dollars they do not wish to pay for that. All guesses, without asking them; but in between these scenarios there is no real reason for this, like you say.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  5. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

If I ask for stems and receive individual tracks or vice-versa, I simply notify the sender, and inform that unless I receive what I requested I won't be able to perform under the contract as promised. This usually takes care of the problem.vI do not think that sending multi-tracks in place of stems is done with the purpose of getting something more than what they paid for. More so when stems and multi-tracks are generally used for different purposes. Therefore, I think it is done out of ignorance or merely inadvertence.

6. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I have been dealing with this label for 40 years. Mixing, remixing, producing, mastering, worked in their A&R department. We are not cheap but they come to us because they know we will deliver. If they wanted an Izotope mix, they would not reach out to us.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

I understood your initial point. Mine was just that I can't see something being inadvertent like a ~10+gb difference (for a 5 min example file) in the file size unless it's sent on a physical object. Wouldn't you notice?

8. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Some of those A & R guy can't find their own arses. Their assistants are much worst. That's why 80%-90% of their signings end up losing money for the labels :hillbilly:

9. executioner

executioner Guest

I think multitrack has become synonymous with stems and most people (inexperienced) are going to fall for this terminology. Much like guitarists with gain/overdrive. I too have started calling multitrack stems, and so have the people I work with, so it's essential to really be clear with it nowadays.

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

If I sent someone "Stems" to do a mix, if I was confident in my Groups being mixed how I want them; I would send only prints of those Bounces. It would cost less because I did the Group summing Myself. I would prefer this because I will spend much more time on this for free than I want to pay @The Pirate hundreds, if not thousands of dollars; to do my work for me. And I may have certain compressors, who knows? All about your individual perspective and workflow. But I think using the Izotope "definition" meaning something which looks like their "Music Rebalance" feature; is not a very bad general description. Bass, Drums, FX, Synths/Keys, Guitars, etc labelled full length renders.

If you are getting something on a flash drive, well that's different too. You could send both and like "10 Project Alternatives" using that feature in Logic. My guess on this one goes back to a quite experienced user, rather than someone who likes to spend money unnecessarily. I might even suspect they know there is something wrong in there. That's all. :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I agree, but it's still dumb. "Send me (all) the (multi)tracks" and "send me your stems" should mean two different and precise things.

12. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I'm not too proud to admit I never knew quite what the difference was. Thanks @Pirate for the detailed explanation.

13. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@VaricellaNelDeretano since you disagree with my take on stems and multi-tracks, why don't you explain why. Maybe you know something that we don't know. Maybe you hold the key to a successful music career for all of us. I am tired of working at McDonalds, therefore, I beg you to share your game-changing wisdom. Thanks in advance.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I think it was Oscar Wild who said Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence. He was right about the intelligence part, but when it comes to wit and sarcasm? he got that bit all wrong. Sarcasm is pretty funny when done correctly- as seen above :P

15. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Yes, it's much easier to keep track of stems which stems from tracks larger number count. :winker:

and...

Stems are the seeds of the mastering engineer!

[​IMG]

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List