Independence exercises for most instruments

Discussion in 'Education' started by BaSsDuDe, Jun 17, 2021.

1. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

This is applicable to most instruments.

I use the word "MOST' for a good reason. A matched grip drummer may or may not find this of use because this is a simple set of finger exercises that requires no instrument to do and can be done on a bus, a train, pretty much anywhere or when no instrument is near. I have taught this to a lot of people and it helped every one of them. If you did not take a book or video on a long trip this is also a good practice when your instrument is in baggage.

Useful for stringed instruments, brass instruments, piano/keys, woodwinds and any instrument that require each finger or thumb to be used to play notes or rhythms on their instrument(s).
    The object is at no point do you raise any fingers other than those you choose to exercise.

1. Put your hands in a relaxed state on your lap or a table or surface, palm down.
    2. The next steps require you move a series of fingers matching the diagram below.
    3. The first one is the easiest. Lift only your Thumb. Back down, then 1,2,3,4 only without lifting any others.
    4. Then not in sequence e.g. 3, T, 1, 4, 2 then single finger variants to your liking.
    5. Now it gets a little more difficult. At the same time, odd combinations.
    6. T+4, T+2, T+1, T+3
    7. 1+3, 2+4, T+2, 1+2, 1+4, 2+3, T+3, 3+4. Any two-finger combinations are applicable.
    8. Now pick a combination of three fingers of the five to simultaneously lift- you pick them, for example, T+2+4, 1+3+4 so on and so forth.

For the really adventurous with both hands.
    Different combinations on each hand. Left hand T+1+4, Right hand 1+2+4 - The combinations are whatever sequence you can imagine at this point because by now, hopefully, you know exactly what to do.
    Don't kick yourself if this last exercise seems impossible. It's not. It just requires more practice than doing the same thing on each hand. Your brain has to work differently in this one. It has to simultaneously have independence in both the fingers and the hands. Pianists are possibly more likely to find this one easier than many other instruments.

upload_2021-6-17_17-22-37.png

The advantage for Guitarists and bassists - Those I know who have mastered this can do any possible string jumping at any playable speed if they have also mastered their fretboard technique. It is a dexterity exercise. Woodwinds and brass can play unusual faster passages with strange intervals more easily. Pianists have even more independence. ...You get the drift.
    Drummers can spin their sticks on their fingers and no longer have to leave their drumsticks on the dashboard to get into disabled parking (Joking!). I am sure it's useful for all instruments, but only a drummer will know if it is for drums.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

For Piano / Keyboard, I can suggest
    Kunz - 200 Short Two-Part Canons​
    Very easy at the beginning, slowly increasing complexity, and to some extent fun.
    Here fingering is written from 1 to 5 starting from thumbs, for both hands.

4. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

I like the original post except for its species bias - time for me to fight back :winker:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

:rofl:Species?? Now that might be the funniest pun on here yet.

Sorry Next time I will find a different 5-fingered mammal. I might have chosen an arachnid except I figured 8 is pushing it. ;)

6. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

That's really great except this exercise is Universal (useful for nearly every instrument) which I stated. :) Your recommendation is great but if you are on a plane, a train or bus, a keyboard is not always available...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021