In your opinion, best speakers under 1k or even under 2k?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Brendan, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Spartan

Spartan Kapellmeister

Oh dear. If that really is the best you can put forward its probably way past your bedtime.

2. daddytang

daddytang Producer

3. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

Sceptre S8, hands down. this is about the best review that literally shows accuracy not against the competing speaker, but against an actual track where u can hear variances between what u hear and the actual sound of the track (which makes u a more accurate mixer). I think when choosing a monitor, accuracy reigns supreme. When choosing a speaker, opinion reigns supreme. there is a difference.

4. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

Well everyone it wasn't my speaker.... ended up being my DAMN presonus USB 96............ REALLY think its time to buy a new interface lol.

5. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

6. Fowly

Fowly Platinum Record

I'm gonna be that guy, but there's no greatest speakers. There are bad ones (just look online for reviews that point out any design flaws, significant distortion etc...), but to find the pair that works best for you in your studio, you need to find speakers that :

1. Produce a sonic signature that you like.
    2. Work great spatially in your studio.
    3. Combine well with the reverb and the acoustic impedence of your studio.

For the first point, the first question you want to ask your self is "How fast do you want the transients to be ?". Speakers that have too slow of transients won't have enough details, and those that feature transients that are too fast will sound fatiguing or overwhelming on some recordings. The tweeter is the most important driver when it comes to transients, so you can basically guess how "fast" a speaker by looking at the tweeter design. From my experience, I would rank them like that, from softest to fastest :

- Soft dome dynamic, hard dome dynamic, AMT, ribbon, electrostatic.

Then, you can ask yourself how much bass do you want, and pick speakers that will deliver low as deep and as loud as you want. Don't listen to people saying that there are rooms too small for 8" woofers or whatever, or that you need a sub to mix EDM. It depends on so much more that size. The only true thing is that some rooms are too small to properly treat the low end. It's okay to go for small speakers with subs because you can place them seperately, allowing you to work around problematic areas in your room (just don't go for a 2.1 setup ffs, you need to listen to bass in stereo when doing a stereo mix).

For the second point, you want look at the design of the speaker.
    Do you want a large sweetspot ? Then maybe try to find speakers with a waveguide.
    Are you okay with a small sweetspot ? Then maybe speakers without a waveguide will give you better results.
    Is imaging more important that transient response ? Then maybe you should look at coaxial speakers.
    How large is your room, and where will the speakers will be placed ? This is will affect the choice of a back or front facing bass reflex, passive radiators, closed enclosure, or back/side woofers...

For the third point, if you can use DSP or design the acoustic treatment around the speakers, then you don't need to worry about it. If you can't, I'm afraid it has to be trial and error, especially because the acoustic impedence of a room is so difficult to measure. Two different speakers with a similar free-field frequency responses can end up with very different ones in the same room.

Of course, all of these remarks are just guidelines. Sometimes a soft dome tweeter can be more detailed than an AMT, just because of how well it's made. Knowing the kind of features/design you want on a speaker is just a starting point to shop for the right monitors, not a list of requirements for them.

In my case, I settled with a pair of APS Klassik 2020 (1k€). Works great in my studio and for my ears (but maybe not yours).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  7. Shirvami1

Shirvami1 Guest

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

Well then the 8340's fit within his budget of 2grand (each lol!). And they are still 6.5"s!!. I love Genelecs but I think the Adams are a better buy. They sound nice, you can believe your ears, and they create a nice wide sweet spot. Nearly/kinda/sorta equal performance for a fraction of the price.

Someone I know recently mentioned to me that Dynaudio are still hard to get inventory from; their production is still behind like everyone else.

9. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

From that I heard the Yamaha HS8 are the best for monitoring just fix them.

10. Shirvami1

Shirvami1 Guest

it is wiser to contact the manufacturer directly, thereby checking the information, I always do this

maybe headphones are better?
    like these

https://www.etymotic.com/product/er4sr-earphones/