In your opinion, best speakers under 1k or even under 2k?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Brendan, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

Recently, one of my HS8 speakers from Yamaha has crackled and distorted beyond repair. I still think it MAY be my audio interface (a presonus audiobox USB 96)...

But I heavily doubt that.

I've moved aside my modem along with any cellular interference so I know that's not the issue with the left speaker. It distorts ANY bass coming in, and reduces about 3 DB after about five minutes of use...

So while I prepare to get my Yamaha HS8 fixed up, do you guys have any suggestions for better speakers?

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Adams A7, or the T7s if you want to save some money (like half). Genelecs in your price range will be much smaller and a bigger change. 8 going to 7 might not be as wildly different. But I would revisit getting the Yamaha's again too. You obviously like them and are already used to them.

4. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Snare Gel

Snare Gel Kapellmeister

I agree with @clone. Get a pair of used ADAM A7X monitors on Reverb for around $1K, as they're now discontinued. Save up for Sound ID reference and treat your room acoustically as your budget grows/allows.

6. Longman

Longman Member

I agree with Clone but .... I have nice Adams but in truth all good monitors from JBL LSR305 up are good in different ways. Monitor brands are overrated and distorted by marketing. The room is everything once you have good accurate speakers. They only need to amplify without distortion and with a reasonably flat F response.

I would get the power supply, and especially the capacitors and wiring checked. I have a lot of Yamaha gigging gear. It is usually top class.

7. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

The best studio monitor below 1k$ is the JBL 308P MKII.
    The best studio monitor below 2k$ is the KEF R3.

(Without additional Subwoofer and calculated as pair)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Kali Audio IN-8 (v2),
    there is no competition for 3-way active monitors in that price range
    :chilling:

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Get them fixed - you already own excellent monitors with the Yamaha.
    Besides, you've already been listening to the Yamaha for years, you shouldn't change that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. dondada

dondada Rock Star

First of all the Presonus 96 is def. the weakest link here.
    a cheap audient would be miles better.
    Second
    Under 2k you can seriously look for ATC7 or 12 (needs an amp) PSI Audio if you are super Lucky.
    then HEDD Type20 if you´re lucky but any 2way HE(A)DD is great:wink:
    then Adam S2V

Around 1k i would probably only look for the Bigger(older) JBL LSR´s (43/63)
    that´s it! Probably better to invest in some RoomAcoustic Like
    Primeacoustic London 12 and probably some custom holzeim specific to your room modes

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Snare Gel

Snare Gel Kapellmeister

I'd rather have a '3-way' w/ those girls in your avatar instead of blowing the money on monitors

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  12. 9000k

9000k Producer

I swear by my focals alpha, they are just so fucking good. I'm in love since the first day with them, perfect for electronic music, bass reproduction is terrific and without any distorted sounds even at max volume. The whole feeling they give is so solid, couldn't recommend them enough.
    Definitely getting the new "evo" version sometime in the future, probably 80s, but 65s reach so low with the bass already I don't know if I need 8 inchers
    and the sleep function is very welcome as I would hate switching them on/off everytime

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

100% if it makes sense economically. but I'd wait to see the Repair Estimate first. I wouldn't fix anything for any more than about half of what I could replace it for on reverb/ebay,locally. And then even listen to the result of the repair some before deciding.

Depending on what the result of that is, and then what kind of work you are doing; I would also consider getting *different* monitors, so you have another pair to use for referencing. You could put a Big Knob passive controller and just run 2 sets. Many dudes will go with the Behringer MixCube or something like it. It's why I have the little Genelec 80s as computer speakers.

I've heard great things from anyone I know using the JBLs, but I never have used them enough to say. Same with Kali/Focal! The hair band youtube guy loves the Kalis.

Repair is always a coin flip. You could end up with a 25$ wiring connector getting replaced and a new set of LCD-Xs for your money. See what you have to pay to get fixed first. :)

14. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

Appreciate all the advice! I'll have to get an estimate tomorrow, this one Yamaha facility near me rejected my speakers saying they're backlogged due to "covid"... and they're 15 mins away but I can't just drive my speaker up since it's "not the proper way to do things". I'm only 24 years old but I wish I had lived in the old days, where you could go to a shop and just get something fixed. Instead it's a process to do simple tasks...

if the repairs are too much, I would probably look into getting a new speaker. I am quite used to Yamaha (the HS8's are the only studio monitors I've ever used) so it may be smart to try some new brands/see what suits me.

I mainly make rnb,hiphop,and pop. So bass heavy genres. I want an accurate reflection, quality speakers, ones that'll last for years and not break after one year of use like my Yamaha. Gonna also get myself a new audio interface.... just gotta do the research.

A friend of mine works with famous artists (mixes and records them) and his setup is an avid hd i/o 16x16 along with genelec 8340A speakers... NOT in my price range at all! lol. He's at a level I'm trying to get at based on networking/production. But he started with an apollo twin and kind of scoffs at them now, saying they suck.

Ik all of this stuff is extremely subjective, and there are "studio essential" brands... guess gotta just trust my gut and go with what sounds the best (and also speakers that aren't commercially bass boosted which a good set shouldn't be)

15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Perhaps he still has warranty. Since the advantage is when you buy from thomann, 3 years warranty. They also have their own repair shop at thomann. I once had a defective key on a Novation synthesizer - I did not even have to pay postage.

Sometimes the cable is also defective or the mouse has gnawed the cable.

16. Spartan

Spartan Ultrasonic

You should consider the signal chain; converters > monitors > treatment. The presonus audio box connected to 2k speakers is like dropping a 50cc engine into a Ferrari.

I’d seriously look at upgrading the converters before splashing out on monitors.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  17. 9000k

9000k Producer

jesus christ, it's such a bullshit you have no idea... as long as interface has decent drivers he is good, even cheap behringers are fine as long as they work fine with your daw, good dac technology is so commong these days even ass cheap companies can afford to make good sounding interface, and as I said, it's only about drivers, preamps + other functionalities
    I would say monitors>treatment>converters(because these days it's hard to buy shit converters)

and btw it's more like dropping 50cc engine VS dropping 50cc engine with gold plated pistons when comparing interfaces

18. Spartan

Spartan Ultrasonic

You are absolutely right. I mean there is no reason at all that one interface should cost $100 and another cost $1000 because they all sound the same provided the drivers work.

Hell, reactance rates, topology, sample clock, aliasing filters, cut-off ripple etc; it’s all just made up buzzwords so manufacturers can charge us more. I mean varying sample rates occurring in cheaper interfaces - yeah, right - it’s just complete rubbish. Or if it is true; resulting transient smearing and lack of low, mid and high resolution doesn’t exist anyway.

Hey in fact, most interfaces are just IC based so just use your laptop outputs and it’ll sound exactly the same. You even have the drivers with that because its all that really matters.

I imagine Lynx audio shit themselves every time Behringer release a new interface. I mean, there is no weak link in a conversion chain so spend 2k on monitors and listen through a $100 interface. You’re not going to hear any difference!

But hey, beyond a PhD in audio technology, owning a recording studio for the past 30 years, writing papers for the AES and working as an Apple approved mastering engineer, you are completely right I have absolutely no idea and I’m just talking complete and utter bullshit :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. 9000k

9000k Producer

Say no more dude

edit: just do a proper a/b blind test between the cheapest behringers/focusrites vs high end rmes and shut the fuck up xD

20. Spartan

Spartan Ultrasonic

I already have at an AES convention a few years ago. It was part of a talk on listening, DA conversion and monitoring environments. It was even "a proper a/b blind test" and everything! Not just for me though, it was a room full of producers, engineers and students. It wasn't a Behringer interface, it was the cheapest Focusrite and a Solaris. Part of the talk involved a blind test on DAC conversion with drum kits, acoustic guitars and vocals. Guess what won by a significant margin....I'll give you a clue (it wasn't the focusrite). It was even followed by measurements taken from the room via a series of mics followed with FFT and spectral analysis.

The Solaris is nothing more than a D.A.C that strangely costs a lot more than the focusrite, but as things like jitter and reference clocks are all the same, it only won because it wasn't up against the cheapest Behringer. Maybe next time eh?

21. 9000k

9000k Producer

I wish you were as creative with music as you are with these stories