In your humble opinion... What is the best way to make 808 bass lines?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Desantïs, Mar 23, 2016.

1. bigFlow

bigFlow Ultrasonic

Imo best for saturation is the Waves Scheps 73, just turn on drive and listen to the 808 become the most assertive part of your track. I've actually never seen this used in any tutorial or so, but for me it's the best. Another plugin for this is the Soundtoys Decapitator, but this is commonly used and mentioned in tutorials. As for samples, just listen to some 808s, choose the one whose sound you like best, if it's too limp add a kick and compress the 808 with the kick on the sidechain. Tune your samples, add saturation and you're good to go.

2. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

In terms of hardware or software??

3. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

software..
    thanks bigflow... can i use a peak controller for sc or does it have to be a compressor

4. bigFlow

bigFlow Ultrasonic

You can use anything as long as it sounds good. I used the peak controller method for quite some time, but when I switched to Pro Q I didn't regret it. Sounds much better to me, could be because the peak controller only makes things more quiet as a whole whereas a compressor keeps the higher frequencies of the 808s and makes only the bass fundament less loud.

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I will see if I can make a video on "how to 808 with a single-cycle sine wave and a fart sample" tomorrow. It will be hilariously simple, yet (hopefully) interesting.
    It's late here now, so I better get some sleep.

6. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

sounds awesome.. only a true artiste could pull that off tho? :wink: