In search of a useful loop organizer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lil G, Dec 25, 2022.

1. Lil G

Lil G Member

Ever since i've started making music, which has been a couple of decades ago by now, i've been in search of a plugin that could organize my wav-drumloops (i've recorded & collected thousands of them over the years).

Now what i really would like to see is a plugin, that has a useful browser system with some tagging options for (auto)categorization of the loops, that is also able to slice a loop up (on grid as well as freely/manually), map the slices to my keyboard and create slice groups, that i can route to individual outputs. Then, one should also be able to resave these files with the slices and loop edits made (either by saving metadata to the files themselves, or to a database file), so that one can then audition the loops being automatically stretched to the host tempo of one's DAW when selecting them in the browser.

So basically, i'm in search of something, that can do with wav-loops what stylusRMX does with REX-files plus the slicing option.

I was looking at bigfish audio's momentum lately, unfortunately it doesn't seem to offer slice-editgroups, that are routable to individual outputs and it also doesn't let you organize your own samples in it's library/browser system.

All these functionalities exist in diffrent plugins and software, so this should be quite easy to acomplish, but to my knowledge, there is nothing on the market, that combines them all. I can not understand this, since i'm sure that this would be extremely useful to any producer working with drumloops. I for my part would buy it instantly, if such a plugin existed, even if it was quite overpriced.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  3. soundgen

soundgen Member

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. vexd

vexd Kapellmeister

• Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Lil G

Lil G Member

thanks for the suggestion. i'll see if i can get my hands on an older version then...

but this seems to be something diffrent. i don't need no online access to loops and samples and even subscription nonsense. just a plugin to organize, slice and edit my wav loops, so that i can make them quickliy auditionable in the tempo of the session in my DAW.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2022
  6. vexd

vexd Kapellmeister

7. Lil G

Lil G Member

8. Lil G

Lil G Member

So let me get this straight: In 2022 there is still no better way to achieve this task, than to manually slice your wav loops with propellerhead recycle (which is a software that basically hasen't been improved in the last 20 years and is just absolutely horrible to work with) to then import them into stylus rmx? if i wanted to do this with all my drumloops, it would take me at least a year of fulltime work. Even though bpm/key detection and auto slicing functions today work great, which is demonstrated for example by serato sample, which does a great job in this overall. Just no application that uses this to actually manage your drumloops in a smart way. I just can't believe that! Why do plugin developers not talk to musicians to find out what tools they need?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  9. clone

clone Audiosexual

What about XO or Sononym? There is a pc-only one which people also use but I forget the name.

10. Lorrislehorse

Lorrislehorse Ultrasonic

The best imo is ADSR sample manager, it's free too, for one shot samples the best is Algonaut Atlas, i wish this one could get an update and take loops too

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. soundgen

soundgen Member

12. soundgen

soundgen Member

Please read the requirements of the OP.

They ALL do not meet the needs he want.
    No slicing, etc.

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

Logic Drum Machine Designer is the drum loops and breakbeats tool I have wanted for 20+ years. It functions just like Recycle but totally DAW integrated. And does not have SCSI. But other than that, it is like Recycle on steroids. None of them do everything.

With DMD however, why even pre-slice anything? Everything is 4 clicks away from sliced and loaded as midi onto one audio channel, ready to be manipulated as midi. Within a summing stack called DMD. Not much reason to pre-slice and keep two copies of everything.

14. Lil G

Lil G Member

sounds interesting. but this is more like for triggering one shots just like native instruments battery. it doesn't seem to do what i'm looking for at all.

what i would like to see is: a loop plugin like stylus rmx that works with wave loops. ideally being able to scan your loop library, detect tempos and slicing them up automatically. then you should be able to edit the loops manually setting the start and end point of the loop and adjusting the slices if needed. once the loops have been scanned/edited this way, the plugin should be able to play the loops in sync with your host session, allowing you to preview them just by clicking on the loops in a plugin browser. this way you could play your song and then quickly browse through your drumloops on the fly, playing along with your song in sync as soon as they are selected.

in my view, this would be a total game changer. and it should be technically possible by now, since all these functionalities do exist already, there is just no plugin that makes use of them in this way.

or is there?

15. vexd

vexd Kapellmeister

Works just fine, don’t see how needing to make an account that cost nothing to create makes it trash but on then.

16. Lil G

Lil G Member

you're right, it might be still a useful inspirational loop resource and mangling tool for some purposes, but i think it doesn't do, what i have described above, or am i mistaken?

17. soundgen

soundgen Member

Anything that replies on internet accounts is crap.
    It does not work without an account and not being online.

You said prior V6 it did not require internet and you posted links to previous versions that just require internet as well lol.

18. vexd

vexd Kapellmeister

Where did I say anything about internet connection? I said you need a subscription to add samples to the latest version. The only reason you need to be online is if you want to browse the loopcloud libraries. You don’t need to be online to use your own samples.

19. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

He didn't. I mean, it's a very simple fact everybody can see. Denying it makes you look like you don't have credibility.

20. soundgen

soundgen Member

I download from your link, tried the standalone and the 3 VST2's it installs... all REQUIRE internet connection or it closes.
    And you want to tell me that it does not require internet connection???

21. vexd

vexd Kapellmeister

I never initially said anything about internet connection you're the one who pulled that one out of thin air but seeing as you want to dodge and harp on about it, yes you can use it without a being online.

[​IMG]