impulse responses/so many to chose from.....but

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Neanderthal, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Member

hi all, when ever I get into impulses I get really annoyed by a lock of instructions, OH
    particularly. For example what is the location of the mic when is bright, balanced, dark, fat or
    thin. What does 00-10 mean, is that location across the speaker from cap to cone or away
    from the speaker or any location. This is the reason why I am coming back to Redwirez and
    Recabinet where I have the location of the mic. So please can someone explain to me how
    OH does it? thanks

3. Natzu

Natzu Ultrasonic

They include a manual with their IRS that explain everything. You can find info on OH website to explaining everything

4. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

00 means the mike is literally on the grill, 10 is far mikes

5. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Member

@korte1975 "For microphones with position numbers 00 through 10, these positions represent movement across the face of the
    speaker along the relative sweet spot from brighter and closer to center (00) to darker and further out on the cap
    or cone (10). These numbers do not represent any specific unit of measure and are merely sequential arbitrary
    definitions."

6. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

cool man, don't really get ya, why did you ask if you already know the answer?

7. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Member

thanks, but I dont get it. It sad across the face, that means all the mics are on the grill, or?

8. ThorntonQ

ThorntonQ Producer

Taken from OH manual:

THE MICS AND MIC MIXES

In this library, the speaker cabinet was sampled with many microphones and capture types.

For microphones with position numbers 00 through 10, these positions represent movement across the face of the speaker along the relative sweet spot from brighter and closer to center (00) to darker and further out on the cap or cone (10). These numbers do not represent any specific unit of measure and are merely sequential arbitrary definitions.

Positions labeled “EDGE” place the microphone near the rim of the speaker cone, but still in a tonally usable area.

Positions labeled “FRED” place the microphone at the very center of the speaker at a 45 degree angle, ala the popular “Studio Fredman 45” technique.

9. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Member

that still does not answer my question. there is no room between mics and the speaker?

10. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

When you pick one, does it sound farther away?

11. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Member

i believe that sounds from bright to dark,(if dark means a bass) mike_position.jpg

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I'll have to check this out, I thought the edge was less bass more higher frequency to kind of cut through a mix with, the center cone was concentrated bass, and distance was a wider "roomier" sound. I could be wrong on that.

13. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Member

The captured sound is brightest (contains the most high frequency content) at the "Cap center" position and gets progressively darker (more lows and less highs) as you move the mic towards the edge of the cone. mike_position2.jpg

As the mic gets further from the speaker, the captured sound tends to get progressively brighter as the low-end drops off. mike_position.jpg

I would say that OH does not have mics distances!