Improvising over a loop.Do u like it ?

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Mat O, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Mat O

Mat O Guest

Further ideas on sound design and arrangement are welcome.

Here is an updated version of Walker.Created with inputs from reliefsan and famousult.Further suggestions and inputs are always welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2018
  3. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

I like it... Reminds me for some reason of Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd... Probably because of the lead sound and phrasing...

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Mat O

Mat O Guest

Thanks for listening and the comments.Means a lot to know what others think about our work.:)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2018
  5. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

i like ECLIPSE and Aberration ALOT.
    not the last 2 you did. But .......... you shouldnt carre what someone else opinion is anyway, as long as you like the music your doing, just keep at it :)

6. Mat O

Mat O Guest

Reliefsan first of all thank u for listening.I want to know something from you since you listened to my other work,Eclipse and Aberration. Specifically Eclipse involved creation of atmosphere and lots of sound design(hard work).Do you think this song(Walker) would benefit from sound design, breaks ,chord progression ,atmosphere etc.This was done in 40 minutes with loops and me improvising on a keyboard.Where as Eclipse and the Aberration took around a day to get things right.Is it the lack of atmosphere and effects that's keeping you from liking it? or Is the melody being unrelatable or is it the ethic feel imparted by the drums (kanjira).?
    Forgive me for being too inquisitive.:)

7. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

But your avatar is dancing in time with Walker! LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Just opinions etcs, don't take to heart! =) But ur phrasing is a bit on the nose / beat. Esp w/ track before that. Would be nice to have change in timbres a bit moar frequently; maybe less repetition. Go a bit "wilder", maybe? Passing / grace notes even. Also would be nice to hear (esp w/ very FM sounding leads) lot moar modulation (vibrato) to add some emotion? Almost funk style weirdness? I dunno. I liked the rhythm & production (loops) well enough, quite original & cool!

9. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

@Mat O
    no worries they are all good questions worth propper feedback

the last 2 you did, sounds to me are more like "these are for a different project" so i wouldn't really compare them to the Elicse and aberration track at all. Walker and Eclipse They are in different-worlds (oranges/apples).
    Would the Walker track get "better" if you continued working on the different aspect you mention, that you did on the Eclipse track? maybe. maybe not. Its hard to say,

do you think/feel walker has potential to be "more" than it is already? ("more" as in "stronger" )
    how could you help the song get "there" ?

i should probably explain what i mean by "stronger", its the emotionel connection that music creates between the listsenter and the song. how much it pulls them inn and connects them into the song and your musicworld.

in essence, music is more about the "sensation" that it gives us. More than the words "feeling" or "emotion"

anyway, my thought on this is, do more of those kind of sessions, where you focus more on improvising over loops than on having sessions where you are "producing".

Quantity over quality.
    to me, its better to get 10 ideas down (fast) than trying to force my will on 1 idea to be "great" or "perfect" it ussualy takes alot of effort and alot of fustration. Those 10 ideas have many more options and posibilities. You can easliy go back hear whitch of those 10 ideas you like more than others and then pick the ones you want to continue working on.

I've done alot of tracks where i started out improvising over simple loops and then build from there. It didnt always end out great, but thats not that important in the big picture

i duno if that answered your questions :)

10. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

Rofl! gotta check that out! :D

it wasn't that i thought Walker was bad, just feelt more at home with eclipse
    @famouslut has some great downtoearth sudgestions how to improve what you have already:mates:

11. Mat O

Mat O Guest

Thanku for ur opinions.You r very welcome to do so.I quantized the melody to 100%. Agreed on timbre change and vibrato on the lead.:)

12. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Prolly best not to? The mistakes are the best bits. Sometimes :D also, difficult to use grace notes. Maybe slide instead / as well? Cos that would give you a bit more emotional range / interest...

13. Mat O

Mat O Guest

Thank you for the detailed answer.I will try harmonizing the melody and bass line and try to make it more relatable .The problem is once i lay down the melody i don't have the will or energy to do the harmonization and arrangement.If i start producition with sound design and synthesis, the melody i play ,becomes constrained to the atmos , and does not have the flair and the being 'high' feeling .:)

14. Mat O

Mat O Guest

Thanks again i will undo quntization.Will use slide.:like:

15. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

Your welcome, I got carried away :P

try split up your sessions with a more focused intend (writing melodies, creating chords, making atmosperic sounds, arragment) You dont HAVE to do all the things in 1 go.

arragment takes alot of practice. i struggled with it especially for what feels like AGES. But looking back at it, i was just "silly" thinking it was hard, when it can be really easy and creative at the same time

16. Mat O

Mat O Guest

Guys an update of my track Walker. Kindly have a listen.Thanks for all the suggestions.Further inputs and ideas are welcome.

17. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Sounds a lot better, not just because that annoying af shaker is lil less prominent in the remix! =) It still desperately needs to be moar "shakery" (groove), and feel like someone is physically rattling and waving it around, instead of just snare hit all times. I think you could provide contrast w/ the main lead around 1:20 ish - when the changes start to happen; I kinda expected really growly electric guitar jam. The most effective bits with the lead are the lil panflute style arps etcs, sounds weirdly effective! Hope it keeps evolving!

18. Mat O

Mat O Guest

Thanks for sharing your valuable input. Will keep working at it.