importing midi in pro tools 10

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by Musicvanss, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Musicvanss

Musicvanss Newbie

hello everyone. i am having problems importing midi into pro tools 10. i have tried both the clip list and a new track options and nothing happens. the midi info does not show up in the clips list and no new tracks get created. the file is a .mid track and i have even tried putting it on my desktop and importing it from there with no success. makes no sense. the . mid file is 3 midi tracks. it imports fine into reaper. reaper creates 3 new tracks and the midi pops up. pro tools nothing happens.

Any ideas or answers would be great

Much appreciated :thumbsup:

3. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

have u tried the "import midi" option?

4. Musicvanss

Musicvanss Newbie

Yes Duskwings that is what "clip list and a new track " is referring to. the two option for "import midi" in pro tools.

BTW I HAVE AN update I can successfully import .midi files into my pro tools 10,,,,, but the .mid files created by one of my plugins will NOT import. i am working on a way to convert .mid to .midi. just changing the extension is not working. *no*

got this figured out. and hopefully this will help any one who comes across this problem. (you won't be pulling your hair out like i was 2 day) :wow:

for some reason, when i exported the midi file out of my composing software, using the (SAVE AS TYPE) option "ALL FILES" instead of "MIDI Files (*.mid)" this worked. Also note before i clicked on save (export) i also added the i to the .mid to make .midi. this created a .midi.mid file on my desktop…….i then deleted the .mid and bam! :wink: now pro tools imports it perfectly.
    CHEERS :rofl:

5. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

in fact i t s got nothing to do with the clip list and new track.u have to click on file,sroll down to import and select midi,or if u prefer the shortcut ctrl-alt-i

6. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

can you Drag and drop it Cubase you can :wink:

7. Musicvanss

Musicvanss Newbie

definitely tried drag and drop….didn't work……it's got something to do with the extension…….some are .midi and some are .mid. i don think pro tools reads .mid. , anybody confirm? i couldn't et the .mid files to import :(