Importing exported Reaper MIDI file into Pro Tools?

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by Musicvanss, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Musicvanss

Musicvanss Newbie

hello ladies and gentlemen, :thumbsup:

I am in jaw droppened state of confusion right now….. concerning something that "should" be so easy. i have spent hours and hours trying to figure this out, and reading on the net etc etc.

I CANNOT get a reaper (4.6.2) midi file (that has been exported to the desktop or elsewhere ) to import into pro tools 10. i thought i had this figured out the other day but i was mistaken. I've looked everywhere and even tried software and can't get the exported Reaper midi file into pro tools 10.

IF SOMEONE COULD PLEASE HELP!

step by step instructions PLEASE…..i must be missing something. :wow: :wow: :wow:

Hope everyone is having a nice day

THANK YOU

MV

(so i have the.mid file on my desktop that has been exported from reaper………when i try to import into pro tools……either on a new track or in the clip list. nothing happens!!!!!!!??? :snuffy:

3. anonyrat

anonyrat Newbie

Time to lift up thine jaw...

Under the File menu there is an import option. That gives you a choice of audio MIDI etc.
    Choose MIDI
    It will ask where the file is and where you want to import it to. a) A new track b) into the clip area.
    The new track is obvious, it creates a new track with the imported *.mid file. The clip area just puts it into the clip** area where you can drag it to any MIDI track.
    ** If the clip area is not visible then look for the small right arrow in the bottom right corner of the tracks screen. That opens out the clips area.

Cheers

4. anonyrat

anonyrat Newbie

MV,

Just re-read your message and missed the last line that basically said you tried to do what I suggested. Sorry.

I tried what you did, albeit into PT11 and it works OK. Not sure why yours doesn't work (my jaw just dropped)

Have you tried recording a midi piece, just a few bars, in pro tools and then exporting just that track to the desktop.
    Then clear out the clip from the clip list and then try importing that .mid file.
    If that works then we can narrow it down to the reaper file.

Cheers

5. Musicvanss

Musicvanss Newbie

hi anonyrat,

I can import midi into pro tools just fine. I just can't import "Reaper midi files" after i go through the process you and i both mentioned in this thread, absolutely nothing happens. So there must be a translator or something for pro tools to be able to read a reaper midi file. I tried aatranslator but i couldn't figure it out. i am really surprised nobody has this figured out. Thanks for your post and let me know if you have any ideas, figure it out, or find the answer to this puzzle.

MV

6. anonyrat

anonyrat Newbie

MV,

Weird. I just tried it again this morning, actually two ways and they both worked.

I am sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs, but, have you tried this...
    In reaper select the MIDI region.
    Right click and select edit in editor (Ctrl-Alt-E). You see all the midi notes and velocities.
    Under File, Export to new MIDI file...
    save it..

When I import into PT I see the imported clip with midi notes

When you do this what happens

Cheers