Important Time Machine Backup/Restore Question

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by MasterD, Jan 10, 2018.

1. MasterD

MasterD Member

Hi,
    I’d appreciate a respond from well experienced people with Apple’s Time Machine.

I need to do a full restore from a Time Machine backup, this is due to a problem with a particular plugin that I had on every single track, and after back and forth updates of this plugin, unfortunately all track settings of this plugin have disappeared. A bummer!

I do have a full Time Machine system back up few hours before this problem happened, so I’d like a total backup of the system prior to the problem.

So my question is:

1. Will Time Machine completely restore the files related to that plugin, so when I’ll open my sessions, this plugin setting on the tracks will be available again?

2. Would be better to remove any session and plugin files associated with this plugin before I use Time Maschine, so Time Machine will completely replace it with the backed up files? Or this not necessary?

I’m on Mac OSX 10.10.5 and using Digital Performer 9.5

Thank you very much.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

A full Time Machine restore sounds like a very invasive step to take. You could enter Time Machine, restore only that one plugin and keep rolling back the date until your track settings reappear.

4. MasterD

MasterD Member

Thank you,
    Yes, it is invasive, i don't know what else to do?
    How would you restore just that plugin? My Time Machine is back up on external Glyph drive, if i connect it and choose restore from Time machine wouldn't it restore the full system from that particular date?

5. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Hook up the external.
    Go to System Preferences and check "Show Time Machine in Menu Bar"
    Click on the Time Machine icon in the top left corner
    and select "Enter Time Machine"
    You can now roll back the dates and select specific files to restore. If your plugin has presets and a configuration file I would restore those too.

Maybe go back to one day before you started all the updates and restore only the files you need to that point.

This only works at 88MPH

6. MasterD

MasterD Member

Thank you, I appreciate it, I'll work on that! At least I have a full system back up.

7. Rockdaset

Rockdaset Newbie

This should be put in a special folder called great tips and tricks for Apple! Great advice!