Import NKI's to Ableton's Sampler

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Blackers, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Blackers

Blackers Newbie

Hi everyone, first, English is not my native language so tell me if something is not clear enough.
    I'm having issues with this simple operation. I want to import my NKIs into Live Sampler because I find it really easier than using kontakt. the instruments are very basic, so I'm sure it will work pretty well.

First i tried with Kontakt 5 Libraries(Ethno World 5 for example) but it seems impossible because NKI's have changed since Kontakt 4.2.2. So I get Kontakt 4.0.0, tried with an old library, East West Colossus. I successfully managed to extract Wav's, then using NKI's inside Sampler.
    here is how I do :

Files > Save As.. > Patch + samples, do not compress samples.

So I have the NKI and a folder with WAV's inside.

But now, the problem is with Ethno World 4. the bank is working well with kontakt 4.0.0, but unfortunately when i'm using the same technique as before, i can't load NKI's into sampler. it crashes again. I don't understand why, because again, it's a file older than Kontakt 4.2.2. So i really don't know what to do now, I've tried a lot of things but everything failed.
    Thanks in advice!

3. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

maybe only K1 and K2 patches will be read with Live/Sampler

4. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

i'm no expert, but I don't think there is anyway that Abletons Sampler is going to be able to understand some of the extensive scripting in Kontakt, and of course it's not going to contain a lot of the DSP that goes into newer Kontakt libraries etc.... I would imagine simple key mapping etc might work, but I doubt even round robining will transfer over... Kontakt now contains so many features and scripting and dsp that there is no easy way to do a 1 to 1 transfer on sampler, or anything for that matter.

It's libraries have become more of an instrument then a simpler playback machine or rompler then it was when it first came out...

5. Blackers

Blackers Newbie

Hello, thanks for your responses. I don't know if Sampler accepts only K1 and 2, but not 3 and 4.
    I would find it strange that is the case.
    I didn't found any documentation about this, as I said the only thing I know is that .nki format has changed since 4.2.2.

Sisyphus, the libraries that I want to convert are quite simple, I already managed to convert Colossus library and it worked pretty well. I'd say Ethno world 4 has the same level of complexity.

Now I wonder if Colossus came out on Kontakt 1, 2, 3 or 4 and compare with ethno world....

If you are right nikon, I have to find a way to downgrade .nki files.
    I don't know if Chickensystems Translator 2.9 can do that? It seems it's not working on Win7.